Chapter 17

"In light of the recent events, Lady Sage and Lady Elodie have chosen to return home. Prince Derek has asked me to inform you all that if you wish to do the same, you may," Celia looked at us over her clipboard. "If you would like to leave, please stand."

The remaining seven girls and I all exchanged glances; even at this point, it was hard to tell who was here for the crown or for Derek. Either way, we were all here because he wanted us to be.

My mind flitted back to our words in the safe room. I love you, he'd said to me--and I had said it back. I could still remember the feeling of his arm wrapped around me as I curled into his side, the steady rhythm of his breaths lulling me to sleep. I'd felt the absence of him last night and I'd ached for his warm touch.

Only days ago I had still been unsure about my feelings for him. Now, wholeheartedly, I knew that I didn't want to lose him. Knew that I loved him. Knew that I wanted him to be mine and I to be his.

I didn't know the depths of his relationships with the other girls, but nobody made to stand up. Clearly they didn't want to leave either.

Celia hummed as she marked on her clipboard. "Wonderful. Now that that is sorted out, we can get started. Due to the delay from the attacks, the Italian Royal Family has extended their trip by a few days. With these setbacks, the send-off ball has been moved to the end of this week. And you all will be planning it."

She was met with mixed reactions. Audrey and Avalee practically squealed while Sage and Rowan outwardly cringed. We were supposed to plan a party?

"Now that there are eight of you, we will split into two groups of four. One will plan a tea with the Italian ladies in the middle of the week. The other will be in charge of the send-off ball at the end of the week."

"That's not fair. The other group gets more time." Avalee complained immediately.

Celia sighed in annoyance. "I am aware of that, Lady Avalee. But I'm quite sure a tea will take less time to plan than a ball."

Avalee huffed but said nothing. Celia ignored her, instead divvying us into groups. She practically threw Liana away from me, insisting that we needed to be separated. I could nearly see steam come out of Liana's ears--I hadn't been able to speak with her after the rebel attack.

Once Celia was finished, I found myself grouped with Rowan, Eveline, and Audrey. Liana was on the other side, with Avalee, Kamryn, and Fallon.

"Thanks to your outburst, Miss Alloway," Celia eyed Avalee. "Your group will take care of tea. The other group will plan the ball." Celia looked to my group before signaling us to start.

As I looked at the girls in my group, I was thankful that Rowan was there. If I couldn't have Liana, she was the next best thing--I'd need someone to stop me from throttling Audrey.

Eveline cleared her throat, folding her dark arms against her yellow dress. "Alright. A huge send-off ball shouldn't be too hard to plan in a week, right?"

I snorted at her sarcasm, unable to help myself. She flashed me a smile before turning to Audrey, who had begun to speak.

"This ball is a huge deal. And I'm not letting any of you mess it up." Audrey glared, staring at me just slightly longer than the others. It was a struggle to not roll my eyes.

"And we won't. But this is a team project, Audrey," Eveline looked pointedly at her. "We're not going to let you mess it up either."

Audrey huffed but relented. I admired Eveline and the way she stood up to Audrey. How had I not seen this side of her before?