Chapter 19

I was completely and utterly weak. My wind was screaming at me, begging for some kind of cure to ease the pain in my upper thigh - but there was nothing I could do to help myself. My head was bowed as my legs no longer worked, causing the two men by my side to hold me up.

I felt the cool metal press against my opposite thigh, and my body became stiff again. I wasn't an idiot - no matter how many times I begged and pleaded, they wouldn't show any hint of remorse or leverage. They were cold, angry people seeking revenge after Harry, and I was caught in the mists of all the madness.

"It's been more than five minutes," said one of the men, "Again?"

I lifted my head slowly, seeing Jake sitting in his office chair, his eyes wide and nostrils flared as he watched me sob silently, his chin resting on his knuckles. He seemed as though he was in deep thought as he licked his top lip, looking more infuriated by the second. He continued to keep his mouth shut, glancing at his silver watch nervously, then back up to me.

"Sir?"

"He hasn't replied," Jake muttered, although it was more to himself. "Doesn't he usually reply?"

The men beside me shared a questionable glance, then turning back to Jake. "What do you want us to do?" asked the opposite man, gripping my upper arm tighter, "It's been more than the required time we gave him. She still has a few good jabs left until she passes out."

A small cry left my lips, my arms trembling miraculously when the man said the words that made my stomach churn. When were they going to stop? Until I pass out, or until I bleed to death?

My mind couldn't fathom why Jake would do this - just a month ago he was cradling me as I whimpered into his chest, because I didn't want to see Harry.

"You're not going to see him again, are you?" he questioned worriedly.

"There's not really much I can do to stop that, is there?"

"Just be careful," he warned, "He'd destroy someone like you."

"What does that even mean?" I snapped, "Why is it someone like 'me'? There's nothing interesting about me! I don't go out partying, I don't get drunk and I don't do bad things!"

"That's exactly it." he answered, "You don't do any of those things! You're the complete opposite of him and that's why he's so interested in you."

"Well I don't want him to be interested! I want him to leave me alone!" I exclaimed as I felt a wave of tears pool my eyes. I lowered my head and my voice softened, "I just want him to leave me alone..." I repeated. Within a second Jake had wrapped his arms firmly around me.

"If only it were that simple," he whispered in my ear while one of his hands rubbed my back warmly. I let the tears fall freely as Jake cradled me back and forth soothingly.

But here we are, thirty days later, and I'm still whimpering but not for the same reason anymore. Back then I wanted to escape Harry - I wanted Jake to save me from the monster that lurked London - and now I want nothing more than for that same monster to save me from Jake.

His jaw locked, his cold eyes moving up and down my body, studying my helpless, broken form. Tears were falling meekly down my flushed cheeks, but I hadn't made a sound. I only focussed on digging my nails into the heel of my palm, trying to ease the throbbing pain in my thigh - but it were useless.

Being stabbed hurt a lot, but it was also scary as hell. I've never experienced pain so raw before - it had me shaking as if I had just come out of the sea in the mists of winter. The pain hadn't subsided, and it didn't help as the material from my jeans continued to irritate the gash.