Prologue

All rights reserved. This book belongs to me, so please don't copy it.

______

June 6, 2005

The fire spreads across the hardwood at what looks like to be a hundred miles per hour. It circles the kitchen island and climbs the cabinets. Smoke fills the whole room in a matter of seconds, hiding any fire-free paths.

The little girl's eyes blur at the scene in front of her, and her heart rate accelerates with each passing second. Smoke soon engulfs her every breath as it gets harder to breathe normally. Within just a few minutes, she's forced to settle on huffing and puffing as she searches for any sight of light.

"Move to the ground."

The little girl's brain shouts at her over and over, but her tiny body does nothing to obey the order. Too dizzy from following the fire as it circles everything she's ever known, all she can do is freeze as if she were nothing more than a statue.

I'm going to die.

She now realizes.

I'm going to die.

There will be no tomorrow for Jacqueline Estelle Hathway.

Unsurprisingly, the thought scares her. It sends unpleasant chills down her tiny body and makes her wish she'd done more, though that seems very much unlikely: at the young age of five, she's already done as much as time would allow.

The end is near.

She nods at the obvious thought or moves her head in what might be a nod.

Where are Mama and Papa?

Tears fall from her eyes at this. She'll never see her parents again. She'll never walk with mom to the Sunday market, or have her braid her hair as Daddy reads her a bedtime story. No one will kiss her cheek and whisper soothing things after a nightmare. They won't even be any more nightmares anymore. This is the end.

Distant shouts are heard, but the girl pays no attention to them as she crawls under the marble counter.

At the age of just five, she whispers what she knows as her last words. "Nathan... Nathan..."

________

Hey lovely peoples! Welcome to my first attempt at writing a BWWM book!

I'd like to start by saying that I'm black, and haven't experienced much, or any at all really, racism. So this book won't focus on that.

I'm thirteen and have never been in a relationship of any kind, forgive if I happen to portray things differently/inaccurately.

I don't know if you can or can't racist to your kind, but if I somehow write something that offends black people, or any race in general, please comment or PM about it. I most likely didn't do it on purpose.

I'll fix mistakes at the end of the book, but feel free to kindly point them out as you see them:)

Any helpful advice/suggestions are always wanted.

I don't have an updating schedule, if you like this book enough, just comment or PM to update and I'll be on it within a few days.

Love you guys, silent readers included,

Liv❤️

DP: 6.11.17
WC:248