Chapter Fifteen

August 22nd, 2017

"Bye, Aiyana!" I toss the words over my shoulder to the sweetest old lady I've ever met.

Aiyana is the head librarian and of the Native American ethics committee. She has long, raven black hair tied into a huge messy bun. The grey streaks that scatter about her head add to what I'm calling her 'enchanting glow.' Her grey eyes are clear as day and shine with so much love for life.

Personally, I'm kinda jealous: I'm only seventeen, and most days I look like I belong in a grave. Yet at seventy-three, Aiyana lives as if she's at the peak of her life. Wearing colorful clothes that scream happiness, and jewelry that enhances her pretty all natural face.

"See you tomorrow, Nizhóní child." Aiyana waves back. Her skinny naturally tan hand comes to her mouth as she blows me a kiss.

She's too much.

A fond giggle leaves my lips as I exit the building. And the smile that follows after stays with me as I get in my little beat up Honda truck. 

The 'piece of junk' arrived late yesterday night, Beatrice told me this morning. Apparently, the Johnson didn't want any reminders of me, or they felt guilty for using me, either way: they gifted me with the vehicle I used the most in my three months with them: their old Honda truck.

I'm actually really happy I got it. Number one reason being it would've been awkward asking for a ride to work every day, so that wasn't in the equation. What was though, was taking the smelly bus.

Glory to God for Vroom Vroom.

Did you name a car?

As far as I know, many people do this, so I chose to ignore Jax. The choice of driving to Central Park is way more appealing.

I arrive at my destination in a matter of minutes.

A quick peek at my phone lets me know that it's only three thirty. I've got thirty minutes before Finn arrives.

Part of me is tempted to sit in the car and open the book I checked out today, but the part the longs to take a quick look around wins.

Nothing bad happens in daylight.

My unspoken words are meaningless to my own ears, but I try to believe them as I exit the car.

Being scared of every walking person isn't a health way to live: there are no positive outcomes to it whatsoever, trust me.

I lick my lips quickly and start dozing off as I take in my surrounds.

The park is one of those natural ones with picnic tables everywhere, and no playground toys. It's really pretty though: luscious green grass, tall evergreen trees and average people here and there.

Sooner than I wanted, I'm done with making the loop around the park and am back to the sidewalk.

That ounce of sadness is forgotten in a matter of seconds when my ears land on Finn's car.

I know it's only been a day since I last saw him, but oh my gosh: I've kinda missed the guy. And looking at his pretty face only makes this thought truer.

My pace increases to a fast walk, no desperate running for me, the closer I get to him.

I'm about twenty feet away from him when he finally looks up from his phone, and in my direction.