Chapter Forty Two

Friday, September 29th 2017

I'm in the living room watching my favorite movies with the family when I get Anaya's text. At first, I ignore it. It's been a while since the family and I had a nice, peaceful Friday in, and I'm  determined to enjoy it.

On the screen, Lucas is trying to help his mom climb up the tree when my phone vibrates again. Knowing Anaya, she more than likely will start spamming me unless I answer now.

A little annoyed, I pull out my phone and look at her message.

Anaya: hey

Anaya: have u talked with any of the ppl from ur articles?

Me: Hey yourself. And no, not yet.

Anaya: Why not?

Me: Been busy.

Anaya: u suck @ lying

Even though I'm sure it's not possible, I sometimes believe that Anaya was gifted with telepathic powers at birth. My reasoning is simple: there's no way a simple human could know so much about another, especially if using phones.

Me: I'm scared.

I don't have to explain why I'm scared. Without saying more, Anaya is bound to know that I fear what the person on the other end might be like. Just like the saying that not everyone breathing is living, the world has taught me that not everyone smiling is kind. With this knowledge in mind, the tricky part is deciding who's the friend and who's the foe without getting burned. Despite my hardest attempts, I've always managed to get burned.

Anaya: don't be. I'll happily have a 'chat' with any asshole that thinks he/she can disrespect u

Me: Can't you just call them for me? I'll do more research on Tyrel.

Anaya: no can do babe. this is your fight to fight i'm just the armor

"Hija pequeña, put your phone away."

I snap my head up and meet Robert's dark eyes in the dim light. He's looking at my phone expectantly while Jace snickers to himself, happy not to be the one getting lectured for once.

"Okay, let me say bye."

Robert nods and goes back to watching the movie. Jace on the other hand leans in and whispers, "busted." To which I respond with gently elbowing him in the side before allowing my fingers to fly across the screen in a quick text.

Me: Fine. I'll call some random stranger tonight.

Me: I gotta go. Movie night.

I advert my eyes back to the screen, but my attention is long gone. The constant reminder of what's to happen when The Impossible ends pinching at my mind like a horrible itch. Eventually, during the saddest point of the movie, I empathy drowns my body and for a while I'm allowed to forget my enviable future. The movie ends not long after. Jay's face is streaked with dried up tears as she untangle herself from me. Somewhere during the part where the Dad finds Simon, Jay grabbed me to shield herself from the images on the screen. Soon after she was hugging me in joy when the other son, Tom, was found. Though her fruity perfume was a bit suffocating, I'll admit it was nice to be embraced by her.