Chapter Eight

Edited

The mighty roar of Jace's motorcycle announces his arrival, stopping me from having to embarrass in whatever weird way I would've conjured up.

"That thing is a beast." He gushes the instant the black helmet is off his head.

As we all stumble across the full parking lot and towards the awaiting mall, Jace runs his hands through his hair. It's all messed up and flattened in every way possible, but the guy still manages to get it looking nice within minutes tops.

Wish I could do that with my hair.

"Glad you like it, McCain." A disinterested Finn murmurs. "Maybe I'll give it to you for your birthday."

Who gives motorcycles away for birthdays?! To a friend at that??!

Someone who's loaded, dumba$$.

It was a rhetorical question.

"I love that beast and all, but no thanks."

"Why not? I'll be bored of it come winter."

"Because it's your bike, Hudson."

Finn rolls his eyes at Jace and opens the door for me.

"Thanks," I mumble, but I doubt he even hears me: he and Jace are far too gone in their conversation.

The entrance we picked leads us right into the food court, the second floor of the mall.

I vaguely remember riding the tiny train here when I was younger, and blurry images come to mind when I remember shopping here in my late teen years, but besides that, it's like I've never been here: I don't know where to start, or even where to go.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spy a trio of laughing teens a couple of yards in front of me. They take a left, and I decide that's where I'll start: wherever 'left' leads me.

Thoughts of joining Finn and Jace at the food stand flood my head for a flash of a second, but I decide against them. Instead, I hum the song on the radio, clarity by Zedd, and start walking left.

Before I know it, I reach a store called Forever 21.

I make my way into it and wander around it, aimlessly picking up shirts and shorts that I think are cute. A few of the teen girls working come up to me every once in a while and ask if I need help finding anything, but besides that, it's a pretty quiet stop. Time goes by and soon enough I walk out of the store with a bag full of clothing, and fifty fewer dollars.

Clothe, check. Charger and lipstick to go.

Something tells me that Sephora is downstairs, so I locate the stairs, and I'm about to head down them when I hear my name.

This might surprise you, but I don't question if the person is calling me, or someone else. The number one reason being that the voice belongs to Jace, and the close second being that my name is pretty unique.

I slow my pace down and wait for him and Finn.

"Hey." I smile at them, but only Finn returns the smile. All I get from Jace is a slightly annoyed look.