Chapter Thirty Seven

I'm nearing the back of his car when I see him get out. Instead of heading forward and towards the house-like I expected-He turns around and looks at me. A picture perfect smile appears on his pale pink lips as he lightly leans against his car. I stop walking and just stare at him, thinking how handsome my best friend is and also how stupid I must look just staring at him.

Finn arches an eyebrow up, as if asking if I'm going close the yard separating is. In turn, I bit my lip to stop the smile that so badly wants to bloom on my lips as I shrug lightly. I'd prefer he came to me for a couple of reasons, but the main one is I don't know where I stand with him. After all, who knows? He could've met someone better than me on his trip.

Seeing that I have no intentions of moving closer, Finn pushes away from his car and holds out a hand like he's expecting a handshake. Confusion at what's going on is clearly written on my face as I slip my hand in his. I'm about to question his motives when he yanks me to his body. My head crashes against his hard chest-ouch!-as his arms wrap around my waist in a tight hug. I relax and wind my arms around his neck, effectively drawing myself as close to him as possible.

"I missed you."

"Missed you too." I mumble into his shirt, loving the smell of him.

Now is probably the time we're supposed to let go and be on our merry ways, but that doesn't seem to bug Finn-or me-as he gently pulls on a piece of my hair.

"I love it when you're hair is like this." He says, letting go of my waist and running both hands through my tight curls. I send a quick thank you message to the me from this morning for taking the time to brush our hair thoroughly.

"Yours isn't bad either."

Finn's rocking this bald fade to quiff hair that really works for him. His golden brown hair looks so soft and perfect that I just want to mess it up. Only reason I won't go through with my plan is that I'm just a tad too short to reach it.

"HUDSON! STOP MESSING WITH MY BABY SISTER AND GET YOUR ASS IN HERE."

"STOP KILLING INNOCENT FAIRIES, JASON!"

Finn chuckles at Beatrice's exasperated tone and drops his hands from my hair with a final tug. I step away from him, clearing my mind as his finger entwine with mine. He slowly leads the way to the house.

"You know, I dreamed about you every night I was away."

I play along by making my voice come out excited. "Really?"

"No. I dreamt about that hot model from that magazine."

"You don't actually remember, do you?"

He shakes his head, smiling down at me. "No clue. Did you dream of me?"

"Nope. I had a weird dream, actually."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah. I was being chased by these huge balls of lettuce. They had huge, scary eyes made of olives and a mouth of tomatoes. They were carrying huge silver swords too. They wanted to eat me."

"I'm no genius when it comes to interpreting dreams," I tilt my head up when he pauses, only to see that he's laughing at me with his eyes. "But I'm sure that anything chasing you with a sword wants to do more than just eat you."

I let go of his hand and open the door. "You're right. You're no genius-"

"You..weren't supposed to agree with me." Finn takes off his black vans and leans against the door as he waits for me to strap off my sandals.

"--Meaning that those lettuces could've been trying to eat me for all you know."

"I think otherwise, but I like you enough to let you think that I agree with you."