Chapter Twenty

September 10th, 2017

Life goes on normally in the two weeks leading up to my first day of school. Jace never mentions anything about the night he saved me, and I never bring it up. I get to know Beatrice and Robert on a deeper level and even get to explore the sports shop they own. Jaylin opens up to me more and more each day. She even went as far as offering to take me shopping the weekend before school started.

The only sad part about the thirteen days is the simple fact that Finn wasn't in it. He's parent surprised him with a family vacation to the Seychelles islands. Now he probably rests on a comfy beach chair made of Benjamins, a cold drink in one hand, and his new iPhone in the other.

I, on the other hand, lay on my twin sized bed made of whatever the hell beds are made of, no sweet, cold numbs my fingers as I pick what I'm going to wear tomorrow. I'm going for a look that says cute, but at the same time not too out there that I draw any attention to myself.

So you want to be a cute ghost?

Yes.

Sometimes the voices in my head actually get me. I want to look good, but not be seen.

With this new idea in mind, I pick out my only tight fitting crop top and pair it with black ripped jeans. Setting the two on my desk, a smile breaks across my lips at how easy that was. Most teens my age spend hours picking out what they want to wear for the first day of school, but not me. Invisible ghosts don't have to worry about what people think of them.

A quick look at the clocks allows me to see that it's eight thirty-three.

Bedtime.

Right on cue, a little yawn leaves my lips. I'm so tired--weirdly I did nothing to be this pooped out-- that even my something ounce phone feels heavy. I quickly unlock it and send Finn a quick good night text. Not waiting for his reply, I plug the small device back into the outlet by my bed, and I'm inches from perfect sleep when my door is slammed open.

"MOVIE NIGHT!" Jace screams, his usually deep voice changing to a higher pitch. "Come on, little sis!"

Recently, like two days ago recent, I found out that Jace was four months older me. Ever since then he been calling me little sis. He claims it's because my name is too long, and I've made no secret of the fact that I hate it being shortened.

"Nooo!" I whine, pulling my pillow over my head.

It's after eight thirty, on a school night! I should've been sleeping ten minutes ago.

"'Noooo' isn't an option." He sings, ripping the covers off me. The flimsy little shirt and booty shorts that make up my normal sleep attire do absolutely nothing to shield me from the coldness of my room.

"Go away." I turn my freezing body towards my blue wall, childishly avoiding looking at Jace.

"Not tonight, little sis." He chuckles lightly. I feel his shadow loom over before warm fingers wrap around my midsection. "I've got orders to make sure you attend a family movie night, so that's what you shall do."

With that, Jace effortless lifts me from the comfort of my bed and tosses me over his shoulders like I'm a sack of potatoes. "I don't like you!"