Chapter 10: The Crowbar

Sheriff Mullins' desk was getting full of papers and pictures. He needed this mystery to all come together, and fast. Fayetteville has had murders before, but this one was horribly different. It was a teenaged girl. The thing was, she was technically just missing. Social media and "the talk of the town" was that Genni was dead. The 17-year-old girl, Beta Club member, energized part of the community, was gone. Yes, the scene looked like a murder... but there wasn't a body. And the girl that reported it, Kathrine, didn't see it happen... she just had a feeling.

There was bleach in her blood according to the samples taken from the scene. Oh, the blood. There was so much... she could have bled out... if it were all hers. There was also deer's blood in the mix. Honestly, it looked like someone had dumped deer blood all around the crime scene to make it look like Genni bled more than she did. Genni's blood was there, but it wasn't all hers.

Kathrine told him that the killer (or kidnapper) had a crowbar and was wearing a red hoodie with the strings tightly closing the opening to hide their face. That's all? That's all she could remember? There were way too many holes in this story.

Speaking of holes, there was one that was getting deeper and deeper. Genni's parents have been at his desk all the time. They had taken off from work to grieve--which is only fair--and been driving, searching, calling... doing whatever they can. Sheriff Mullins prayed he would see Genni. Find her and take her straight to her parents. He couldn't stand to see parents hurt in this way...

So this is what he had:

Genni's blood.

Deer blood.

Bleach.

Two terrified parents.

One terrified town.

This is what he didn't have:

A body.

An answer.

He pulled out Kathrine's police report and ran his finger over the wrinkled paper. He stopped at her phone number and started to dial his phone. No, he thought. He set the phone back where it belonged on his desk. I need to go home. It's so late already, he thought.

But today was his lucky day. He didn't need to call Kathrine. She was pulling into the parking lot with Zach, bringing the weapon of concern: the crowbar... Derrick's crowbar.

*If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote by clicking the star. This would really help me out! Thanks!