Chapter 36: The Gift

"She'll love this," Evelyn said under her breath as she leaned away from her memo board she made Natalie. She knew Natalie was going through way more than she could handle, and she wanted to make her feel loved. It had pictures and memories of all the great times they have had together. From laughing in a photo booth to being kicked out of the park for being too loud too late.

She slid it into the floor of her truck and dropped a blanket over it. Next to it was a basket of all of Natalie's favorite foods. A nice little care package made with everything to make Natalie smile. But, Evelyn made sure not to include anything with the color red in it.

She sat in the driver seat with her messages open on her phone. She was going to message and make sure Nat was home, but if she wasn't she would just leave it on the front porch.

-----

I'm coming home soon. Kathrine texted Zach from Florida.

I can't wait to see you. He responded.

Are you okay? He asked her.

Yes. It went better than expected. There was a hole in their story... but I don't want to talk about it.

That's okay. I just want to see you.

-----

Hey! Come outside. I'm in your driveway! Evelyn texted Natalie.

A minute later, the front door creaked open as Natalie hit the switch for the front porch lights. Evelyn jumped out into the cold and moved her way up the steps to hug her. Natalie's matching pajamas were fuzzy and felt like a worn pillowcase.

"I got you something!" Evelyn chirped.

Natalie didn't respond. She just looked around in the darkness; her eyes rocked back and forth. The paranoia wasn't just on her mind, but it was starting to run through her veins. She looked down and silently jumped. Jasper's body flashed in her head. His steaming blood on the ground. She shook her head, ran her finger over the cold pistol sticking out of the back of her pajamas and made her way to Evelyn's car.

"Now, it's nothing big, but I think it could make a difference. I know this whole thing has been hard on you, and I want you to have this," she said.

...but Natalie didn't hear a word. She just kept looking over her shoulder as Evelyn opened the trunk of her car.

"Here it is," Evelyn lunged forward to keep Natalie from seeing... but she dropped it and made another quick move into the trunk. If only the basket hadn't slipped. If only the lunge forward didn't trigger a wave of emotions in Natalie.

"No!" she screamed. Natalie stepped back, in pure terror. Evelyn's simple move set her off... she reached back and grabbed the pistol and didn't even aim. She pointed it at Evelyn and pulled the trigger as fast as she could.

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. This would really help me out! Also, comment your thoughts; I respond to all.