Chapter 37: The Shot

"Robert, wake up!" Pam, Natalie's mom, shoved his tattooed arm.

"Huh, what?" he tried to open his eyes. "What's going on?" he asked.

"I just heard a gunshot. I think it was Natalie..." she jumped from the bed and slid on her slippers. The green fuzz was barely hanging on from how worn they were.

"Natalie? Why?" he asked, still confused as he tried to wake up.

"The gun you gave her!" she shouted.

Robert didn't say a word. He jumped up and threw on his clothes as fast as he could. He hit the doorframe of the bedroom and leaned into the kitchen and dining room area. Evelyn's headlights were still shining through the windows in the kitchen. They acted like a spotlight in Robert's eyes.

Pam yanked her robe off a hanger and raced past Robert. She bumped into the counter as she made her way to the door but she almost didn't feel it. Her attention was strictly on getting outside.

Evelyn's car was sitting in the driveway. The headlights were shining in Pam's face, and the trunk was open. Natalie was standing away from the trunk, staring at the ground behind the car. The gun was sitting on the ground at her feet in the dusty gravel. Her heavy breath was still rising in the air and mixing with the cold.

"Natalie!" Pam yelled, "What's happening, baby?" She ran down the steps as she held her robe together. "Natalie, honey," she tried to hold back her nerves. She was scared but didn't want Natalie to notice. But Natalie probably wouldn't notice... even if she tried.

When she got to Natalie, she grabbed her, "Baby, what's happening?" She hugged the motionless Natalie. As she pulled away, she turned to look behind the trunk.

Evelyn's body was on the ground. She was on her side, with her elbow up in the air. Blood was slowly spilling out into the grass.

"Evelyn!" Pam gasped.

Robert ran up and kicked the pistol away from Natalie. "Get back!" he yelled. He bent over and touched Evelyn's shoulder. "Can you breathe?" he asked.

"Yes," Evelyn moaned through her agony and tears. Her hand was over the bullet wound but it was shaking too much to help anything.

Robert turned to Pam, "Call the police."

Pam jumped up and grabbed Natalie by her elbows. "Why did you do this? Was she going to hurt you?" she desperately asked. She didn't care to show her daughter she was scared anymore. She was crying. Her breath in the air was mixing with Natalie's.

"RED," Natalie whispered.

"Was she going to hurt you?!" Pam screamed.

"I don't think so," Natalie put her hands over her mouth in realization. "No!" she yelled. Her saliva strung from her mouth and into her hands. Her tears came and didn't stop... Not even when Pam called the police.

As the police pulled into Natalie's driveway once again, Pam grabbed Robert with her shaking hands. "You know they're taking her to jail..."

"I know," he cried.

***Author's questions: Will Natalie take the fall for the shooting? Will Evelyn survive? Will Robert face backlash for giving Natalie the gun? Will RED somehow take advantage of this?

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all!