Chapter 32: The Past

"Can I come in..." Derrick shuffled his hands into his denim pockets.

"Uh," Zach ran his index finger over the back of the door. "Yeah... you can."

"Thanks," Derrick reached for a handshake. Zach stepped back and let him walk in without even looking at his hand.

Derrick nodded as he stepped inside. He wasn't expecting a warm welcome. He turned and leaned against the loveseat he had pushed Zach over just a few weeks ago. He pulled his hat off and set it on his knee. Zach shut the door behind him; he started to grab the lock then thought better of it.

"I know I've messed up. I know I've made everything worse. I've done my time, and I thought that you deserved an apology. You've been there for me until I blew up... I wouldn't let anyone be there for me... I just want you to know I'm trying."

"Trying won't cut it, Derrick." Zach crossed his arms.

"And that's fine. I don't think I deserve to be accepted again. I've dug a hole and I fell in it. I don't expect anyone to hop down with me and help me up."

"It's not that, Derrick. You freaking hit Natalie! You have caused so much hurt. You have been nothing but a problem. You know that?" he screamed.

"Yes, I know," he said. He ran his fingers through his hair, and he couldn't look up at Zach.

"Jasper's gone..."

"I know. I'm still trying to get past..."

Zach interrupted him, "No, we're trying. That's the problem. You never saw yourself as the part of our group." He started pointing at him. "You were worried about yourself all this time. And, I'm surprised you're out."

Derrick swiped a tear away just as it slipped from his eye. He was trying to hide it.

"We thought it was you. Then Jasper was..." Zach couldn't finish the sentence. "You were locked up. So, it wasn't you..."

It was hurting Zach to be like this. He was trying his best to hold back the tears. He thought of the times they played video games together until 4 AM on the weekends. He thought about the time he cried on Derrick's shoulder when his parent's got the divorce.

"I'm here for you, Derrick," his voice was shaky. "I believe in second chances... I'm sure I'll need a second chance someday."

Derrick met eyes with Zach. "I'm sorry, man." His voice was shakier than Zach's. He could feel the horrible feeling in his throat from trying to hold it back. He was sorry, and he meant it.

He stuck out his hand one last time. Zach reached forward, let a tear drop, and shook his hand.

***Author questions: Zach and Derrick seem to be genuine with each other. Will Derrick redeem himself? Or will he slip back into his old ways... more importantly... who is RED?

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. That would really help me out! Comment your thoughts! I respond to all.