Chapter 54: The Invited

Derrick threw himself back to his pillows. His bed was finally colder. It had been warm from him being in it all the time. He wasn't out and about the way he really wanted to be anymore. He was thankful for his meeting in the coffee shop with Adam and Evelyn, but he couldn't turn his mind off. He was obsessing over RED, almost as much as Danny was.

He didn't find anything on Adam online. The search only pulled up news articles and websites about his dad, one of Fayetteville's best doctors.

The other thing on his mind wasn't a crazy killer... it was how lonely he had felt lately. It was frustrating him. Like a bug he had accidentally swallowed and he couldn't get it to stop. The butterflies flew around in his stomach and somehow it gave him anxiety. He was watching all of his closest friends move on... he didn't blame them, but it still sucked.

He needed a new start and was desperate for something new. He couldn't take any more of this going to his bed after school and worrying himself to death trying to find out who RED was. When was he coming back out? He thought of Genni. He thought of Jasper. He thought he would never get his mind back where he wanted it: in peace.

He picked up his phone and started a new group message. He rolled his eyes as he hit Zach and Kathrine's names, but he still wanted to see them. He added Evelyn, and even his ex-girlfriend, Natalie. Then, he added someone new: Adam.

Hey, guys. I feel like we haven't really gotten to get together! I want to hang out with you guys. Y'all should come over sometime soon. How does this weekend sound? Is everyone free?

Yeah! I'd love to! Evelyn replied.

Sounds good to me, Natalie sent.

Zach and Kathrine didn't respond for quite a while, and Derrick knew they wouldn't. Maybe they saw it and read the message... maybe they were somewhere in a parked car. Who knows.

My parents actually have a log cabin off the lake if you guys want to come to that instead! It'll be empty and away from everything in Fayetteville. My parents won't mind if I have you guys over. I've had people over there before! What do you think? Adam said.

Omg that sounds so fun. Let's do it. Evelyn sent back almost instantly.

Derrick looked over at his laptop on his desk where he had searched Adam Stone online again. He found nothing... but RED was smarter than that.

"Do I do it? Should I go?" Derrick whispered to himself. "RED could be anyone... is this a good idea?"

His mind went back to the other topic it sat on. He thought of how alone he would be sitting at home. He wanted to be safe, and he wouldn't ever give RED a chance to get him... but he wanted to live. He wanted to not just be alive. He had to have his friends. He had to get them back or there wasn't a point anymore. No more nights crying alone. No more wishing he had his best friend Zach back. He had to live... and hiding from RED kept him alive, but he wasn't living.

That sound so fun, man. Thanks! What time on Friday? Derrick sent.

***Authors questions: Is it a bad idea to go? Or is Derrick over thinking? Will everyone go to the lake house? Will RED make a visit?

If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote! Also, comment your thoughts. I respond to all!