Chapter 16: The Interrogation Room

Derrick's foot was bouncing on the concrete floor. The silver table was cold and let the bright light above it bounce into his eyes. The mirror on the wall in front of him was massive, covering almost the entire wall. His chair was uncomfortable and made his butt hurt. He looked at the heavy metal door, waiting for someone to walk in and sit in front of him.

He ran his hands through his hair the best he could with them latched together by handcuffs. He let them drop onto the table. Clink. The handcuffs were heavy, and so was his situation he was in.

How did this happen... how did it get so bad... he thought.

The heavy door squealed on the floor like nails on a chalkboard. Sheriff Mullins knew it made that sound, and he did it on purpose. He stepped into the room just enough for the door to slam behind him. He stared at Derrick with disappointment. He had so much he wanted to say to the boy that was doing those horrible things to his girlfriend. But as sheriff, he couldn't let his personal feelings get in the way. He never did, but with a murder case cutting deep into the stress of the entire police force and the town, Derrick just might get what he deserves.

Derrick opened his hands and slightly shook his head at the sheriff; he was trying to prompt him into breaking the silence. Sheriff Mullins moved over to the table and sat down, letting the leather in his boots squeak on the floor. Their eyes met as much as they could. Sheriff Mullins was tall and buff, and Derrick's teenaged-muscle was nothing in comparison.

"Was it something she said?" he asked. His deep voice carried between the concrete walls.

"What are you talking about?" Derrick mumbled.

"Why were you on top of her in the yard?"

"I don't know. She was disrespecting me."

"And that's enough to do what to her? What were your intentions, son?"

"My intentions?"

"What was your goal?... What were you trying to do?"

"Let me guess, you think I was going to try to kill her. Are you kidding me?" Derrick dropped his hands into his lap.

He let the silence linger in the room for a moment... "We've got a missing girl that's probably dead. And you're fighting your girlfriend in your yard... " Sheriff Mullins looked back at the mirror to signal the people behind the glass. "Genni is missing and everyone is upset. But listen, son, I think she might not be with us anymore. The scene looked pretty violent... did you know she was hit with a crowbar?"

"A crowbar?" Derrick didn't look up. He kept shaking his head, "No."

Sheriff Mullins rose his hand to let a cop walk in holding a crowbar in a plastic bag. She dropped the heavy weapon onto the table. It was heavy, and the drop was louder than Derrick was expecting; it made him jump. He started rubbing his neck with his restrained hands.

"I've never seen this," Derrick said.

"Why did we find it in your car?"

Derrick's eyes shot open, finally looking back up at the sheriff. "What!? This is not mine!" his voice was beginning to shake.

"The blood on this crowbar has three things on it... bleach, deer's blood, and Genni's blood. Son, all of those things were at the crime scene. Do you hear what I'm saying?" He leaned in over the table towards Derrick, "This crowbar was at the crime scene and probably was used to kill Genni... and we found it in your car."

Derrick dropped his head, "I want a lawyer and my phone call."

"I figured so," Sheriff Mullins stood up, pushed his chair back to the table and left the interrogation room. The woman that brought in the crowbar was still behind the glass watching him. Sheriff Mullins stood next to her looking at Derrick.

"Did he do it?" she asked him.

"I don't know yet..." he paused. "I want to talk to the kids that brought us the crowbar first."

*If you liked this chapter, please vote by clicking the star! This would really help me out. Also, comment if you have any predictions or thoughts so far! I try to respond to all!