Chapter 50: The Classroom

Evelyn tapped her purple pen on the ugly desk over and over. She stared at the whiteboard with assignments written in the corner of the board.

PAPER DUE FRIDAY

She didn't care. It was Wednesday, and she hadn't even started on that stupid paper. Maybe she'll crank it out tonight, or maybe even Thursday night. It was like school was the last thing on her mind. She didn't even focus in class anymore. She used to make good grades, but now she didn't even know what her grade was in this class or any other.

The doorway had students walking through it from time to time. The class was starting soon, and everyone was making their way from the lunchroom. Every time someone walked in, Evelyn would turn and see who it was; then she would turn her head back to her desk within a second.

Then, someone walked in that held her attention. In fact, she almost gasped.

Natalie brushed her hair off her shoulder as she stepped into the classroom. She spun the necklace around her neck and let it dangle down onto her chest in the opening of her green jacket. She sat down in her desk, the closest one to the door.

Evelyn sat down her purple pen and got up from her desk. She placed her hand over her wound that Natalie herself had given her. She walked up the row of desks and walked over to Natalie's.

"You're back," Evelyn smiled.

"I figured you wouldn't be interested," Natalie pointed at Evelyn's side where Natalie had shot her.

"No! I would love to talk sometime! I'm not mad at you. I'm okay," she extended her knees and hopped off the ground. "See?"

"I feel so bad, Evelyn," Natalie rubbed her forehead.

"For not telling anyone you were back? Or shooting me?" Evelyn laughed.

Natalie cracked a smile and shrugged her shoulders. "I guess both," she said with a playful eye roll.

Then, a boy emerged from the doorway and bumped shoulders with Evelyn. He didn't turn or acknowledge her; he just kept walking to his back-corner desk.

"Umm," Natalie said.

Evelyn turned around with her hands out. She thought it was so rude that he would bump into her and not say anything like that. Then, the boy turned down his row of desks and she saw his face...

His cheeks were flushed and his eyes were swollen red. His nose was running but not from allergies. He tried to turn his face to hide the wet streak down his cheeks. He didn't want his class to see that he had been crying, and he sure didn't want anyone to ask him about it. That would only turn the waterworks on even more.

"Oh, poor guy," Evelyn whispered.

"What's wrong?" Natalie asked.

The girl sitting behind Natalie looked up from her phone. "His parents are getting a divorce."

Natalie turned around and Evelyn leaned in.

"Adam Stone's parents are getting a divorce?!" Natalie whispered.

"Yep. That's what I heard," she said.

"Welcome to the club... poor guy," Evelyn said.

"You should go talk to him," Natalie told her.

"I will after class..." Evelyn turned back for her desk.

RIIING.

"That's the bell," the teacher stood from her desk at the head of the room.

***Who is Adam Stone? Do you think Natalie and Evelyn will be able to work together to figure out who RED is? Or is there still secret tension from the gunshot?

If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. Also comment your thoughts! I respond to all.