Chapter 60: The Four

The door crept open, letting more light slip in from the hallway. Then, SLAM. A hand hit the door and slung it open. The door swung back on the hinges and hit Kathrine on her right shin.

"Uh," she groaned with her eyes still closed. She finally started to wake up. From the left of the doorframe, Adam emerged in the doorway. He stepped forward, letting his boots track mud onto the room's carpet.

"You son of a—" Natalie started.

"Son of a what?" Adam snapped at her. "Did you have a gooood nap, sweetheart? I thought you'd be dumb enough to eat my food... I guess not," he shrugged.

Adam pulled his phone from his pocket. He lined it up in front of Natalie and took a picture, letting the flash bounce off her face. Then, he turned to Evelyn.

"What are you doing?" she bent her knees and tried to kick. "Let me go!" she demanded.

Flash. Another picture.

"You... all along..." Zach shook his head. "Why did we come here?" he said.

Flash. Adam took another picture.

"Oh, she didn't want to wake up?" Adam grabbed the door and pushed it away, but it didn't close all the way. "Waakkke uuuppp, Kat." Adam was taunting them with his voice. He sounded like he was talking to kids. He reached down and slapped her across the face.

The pop was pretty loud.

"Don't you hurt her! You let us go right now! Let us go!" Zach was spazzing. His arms and legs were flaring as much as they could. Spit flung from his mouth. "Don't touch her!"

Kathrine jolted awake with a gasp.

"There we are," Adam smiled.

He leaned back and took her photo.

Flash.

"You're never going to get away with this," Natalie's voice was monotoned. She kept her head down, letting her hair hang over her face like a curtain. The blood from her forehead was starting to drip lower.

"I don't have to, Nat." Adam leaned his head over to one side as he stepped closer to her. "You see," Adam squatted before her. "Derrick has to get away with this."

"You idiot... he was in jail when you killed Jasper," Zach started to secretly tug at the rope behind his back. "Didn't think that one through, did you?"

"Oh, but I did," Adam stood up and turned to Zach. "The last one I kill will be Derrick's little helper... too bad you'll die in a scuffle right before the cops get here." Adam rose his hands and acted like a victim. "Help me! Oh, my God! Officers, I can't believe this happened. Oh, my God!" Adam repeated. "It was Derrick! And that one was helping him!" he smiled. "I walk away clean."

"Why?" Kathrine finally spoke up. Her voice cracked.

"Because some people don't care enough," Adam turned to Kathrine. "It's punishment. It's not anything you did... but this is only the beginning. Maybe now they'll care."

"Who?" Natalie asked, not really caring.

Adam turned to Natalie and stepped closer.

Now's my time... I have to do something, she thought.

Natalie kicked with her legs as hard as she could. She lunged forward, trying to bite at Adam's leg. He jumped back and reached behind him. He pulled Natalie's pistol from the back of his jeans. He lined up the gun with her head, "I wouldn't do that... sweetheart."

***Comment your thoughts!