March 6, 2017-Hidden

What color am I? really? What color am I? Thing is, you can't answer that. Why? You can't see me. The only thing you see are my words. Behind paper, I'm a nameless, faceless, and raceless person. And it doesn't matter.

But it does. You can't not be a race. Well, here goes. I'm mixed. I'm biracial. Half of me is one race, the other is another. Whatever you what to call it. My parents aren't from the same race. My mom is Dominican and my dad is Greek and Italian. Weird. This leads me to having honey colored eyes and thick curly hair. Look them up. We're beautiful. With me being biracial, I could never fit in. and with me being Greek and Dominican, I will never fit in. tell me, how many Dominicans do you know? Little to none. Mix that with Greek, and now you don't even know if people have children like that. Hi. I can't just be Dominican. I can't just be Italian and Greek. I'm both. People need to stop trying to separate and create some damn Frankenstein with my body.

"go back to Mexico you little tequila loving bitch." Someone said this to me. One, not Mexican. Two, I hate tequila. It's disgusting. Three, just because I'm not white doesn't make me Mexican. For years people told me things like that. I thought they just didn't like me. I'm now figuring out that we live in a society that can't accept people for who they are. Ironic. America is literally a melting pot; created from immigrants and people from all over the world. I'm tired of it. I'm mixed. My genes come from three different countries. I'm aware. No need to keep telling me every five minutes. Don't think this will be the last time you hear about my heritage. God knows that could be an entire book.

Normal Time

(Group of friends talking during lunch)

"You know what really made her special?"

"What."

"She was ho-

"She was mixed and didn't care if people judged her."

"That's totally what I was gonna say."

"Hmm. She was great. I wish she was still here though."

(Melissa overhears and joins in)

"Well I personally think we should just move on. She's dead or probably dying, and we need to get on with our lives."

"Wow Melissa. Thanks for the advice. Now if you excuse us, we have more important business to take care, like ignoring you."

(They leave Melissa behind)

Ugh! I hate Melissa. That's such a basic name. Wow. Q:How would you handle knowing someone who committed suicide? Would you be a Melissa or a Jess? Me, I'd probably be a Jess. Make sure to vote and comment. I appreciate all the support.

-Love, CupCakes