XXI: Two Ghosts

DARK TIMES

Chapter 21

Song: Two Ghosts — Harry Styles

Turns out only Paul, three of his men, and I were in the smaller Jet. While Harry rode in the slightly bigger one with the rest of the men, and although I was somehow sad that we were not together, I understood why.

We did it all the time with the government, when we captured highly acclaimed criminals at the same time. If we all were together in one flight, we'd be vulnerable, but in separate flights the enemy wouldn't know in which flight the person they want — in this case me — is.

So once inside, I simply took a seat and drifted off. I hadn't had a pleasant sleep the night before anyway, and the six hours were pretty convenient for a good sleep. Surprisingly I drifted off quickly, and before I knew it Paul was tapping my shoulder.

"Excuse me, miss?"

I raised my head slightly from my pillow, although I could feel my hair all over my face, and in a still-daze, I managed to yawn out a "yes?"

"Mr. Styles wants to speak to you. Here, he's on the phone." I weirdly felt more awake at the mention of his name, and I pushed my hair aside to look at Paul's extended hand that held a shiny iPhone 2SX.

"Thank you, Paul." I tiredly said, accepting the phone. He gave me a curt smile and walked back to his seat, while I pressed the phone to my ear and lifted up the window cover.

"Yes, Styles?" I yawned once again. When I looked down and saw only the sea and up the sun, I realized it hadn't been more than a couple hours.

Half way, probably.

His chuckle sent a small wave of happiness through me. "Styles? Are we back to that now, ángel?" He spoke now, in almost perfect Spanish. [Ángel// Ann- hell// Angel]

"Spanish? Thought we were sticking to Italian. And I don't know. I forget you and I are sort of friends sometimes." I revealed, using one of my hands to rub my left eye.

"Well I figured since we're going to a place where they speak Spanish, i'd get some practice in." He mused.

And although he couldn't see it, I rolled my eyes. "By using one Spanish word. How clever."

"The only word that matters, ángel." He repeated, and I had to stay silent, because the seriousness and tenderness in his voice took me slightly aback.

It was a couple of awkward seconds after that he again spoke, "Did I wake you? I'm sorry."

"No I.. it's okay. Are we far?"

"Just a couple of hours. I wanted to see if you were okay. We're only a few miles ahead."

"Good." My voice came out more sleepy than I intended, and I had to put the phone away so I could yawn again.

"I'll let you sleep. See you when we land, Katerina." Again that tenderness, moreover when he said my full name.

"See you when we land, Rey." I whispered back, trying to match the care he held in his words, but his low chuckle clearly meant he felt the amusement in my words. [Rey//Reh - ee// King]

I felt asleep in a matter of minutes after the call, the word ángel repeating itself in my head and the way Harry said it.