XXII: Stella

DARK TIMES

CHAPTER 22

SONG: PACIFY HER - MELANIE MARTINEZ

When he said her name, it felt like a switch had turned on inside me, and I stepped away faster than I could imagine.

     Stella. I remember her.

She was his mysterious co-host at the first post-kidnapping ball I attended in his house. And she still looked as wonderful as she did back then. Blonde hair out in waves around her face, and a bikini that made me want to throw myself in the ocean and let the waves do their work.

   "Stella, what are you doing here?" Harry continued, his eyes flickered to me for a moment and he stood up.

  "Didn't Lise tell you I was coming?" She didn't seem confused when she asked, just her obvious over flirty self.

   ... Lise... as in Eloise...

   Did they know each other or something?

   "No she didn't. I didn't even know she'd be here."

   I think that's when Stella realized Harry wasn't alone, and her gorgeous pink lips widened in a smile. "You must be Kat... the sister, am I right?"

    Well considering she just witnessed us kissing the lives out of each other, I was sure her tone was beyond sarcastic.

   "Don't worry." She laughed lightly, "Aunty Chels and Uncle Karl are still under the belief that Harry's family is still alive."

  I noticed Harry visibly and clearly cringe at her words.

   I had never asked about Harry's family. I just always assumed he kept them away so they would not be in danger like I do with mine. But dead..

   "So you and Eloise are cousins?" I asked, still confused by the whole ordeal.

"Yeah, and we don't mind sharing." She sweetly replied, but I could see the bitterness in her eyes. Which was confirmed when she added, "with each other."

    I didn't care for her tone though. Her words are what impacted me. They had both been with Harry — and not minded. What kind of sick game was I getting myself into.

   It felt like all the emotions I had been feeling before had been successfully replaced. And I was glad. I had no business feeling anything for Harry — for anyone.

  Harry's hand grabbed mine, and it took me out of my mini mind rant, but when he touched me, my hand automatically pushed his away. He frowned.

   We were walking back to the house, Stella in front of us. She was quiet.. Or maybe she was hoping to listen to what Harry and I had to say.

   Harry's cold stare met mine, and he huffed angrily. "We'll talk later."

I didn't even reply, I just walked past both of them and back to where all the pools were.     I was sure all the other people had arrived, and I really, really needed to see Kai. 

  I guess friendships aren't as bad.

   But when we passed the pool, I realized Stella had been right. In a similar swim suit, and sitting in one of the chairs absorbing some sunlight was Eloise. Her parents were nearby, in a chair covered by one of those large umbrella.

   "Harry!" Chelsea stood up, once she saw him. "Katrina! How nice to see you."

  "It's Katerina." I replied, more to myself, when she walked over.