XXX: Katerina

Dark Times

Chapter 30: Katerina

Song: Heart — Yiruma (I suggest you really do listen to it through the whole chapter! It's also one of my favorite pieces)

Third person point of view

It was a rainy August morning; the storm in the clouds above couldn't be kept from entering the barn. There were footsteps, small ones, splashing all around the hay. But that wasn't the only thing that was bothering the horses; they were scared of thunder, you see, and frightened by screams: that morning they heard both.

"You need to push, okay? It will all be over soon."

"No I can't, Anne I can't, it's too much."

"Benjamin and Des will be home soon, Veronica, they're getting a doctor here but that baby needs to come out right— Gemma for the love of God come get your brother before he gets a cold!" Anne yelled out, waiting for her daughter to come grab the toddler running around in the rain.

All of this reminded her of when her Harry was born. He too didn't make it to the car, nevertheless, a hospital. Except back then they lived in
Worcestershire. Worcestershire was unrecognizable now. Much like her, Veronica went into labor while helping Anne grab the clothes she had put outside to dry, but the storm ended up running anyway.

Veronica couldn't even make it inside. So they had set up outside, right in front of the stables inside the barn.

Eight year old Gemma listened right away, with a slight attitude, of course, since this was the third time today she had to come out and pull her brother inside.

"Do you have your baby yet?" She asked, while keeping Harry's wrist in her hand.

"Not yet Gem, she still has to push a little more. Don't look now, go inside and let Harry borrow some of your toys. Nica, honey, we're gonna start pushing again okay?" She turned her attention back to the pregnant woman, who laid in front of her.

"But mom!"

"Inside Gemma!"

This time, Gemma listened, and when Anne turned back to look at Veronica, she heard her husband's car pull up outside. They came running in.

"Where's the doctor Des?"

Benjamin went straight for his wife, kneeling down next to her and taking her hand. "Any progress? How are you feeling honey?"

"He's in his way. Mad storm I tell you, I don't know how long he'll be he had a patient when we arrived." Des replied, grabbing one of the warm towels to press against Veronica's forehead. "Guess we'll be doing the hard part here right Nica!" He excitedly told his friend. Des was the kind of man who could make any situation seem positive. He always found a silver-lining.

Benjamin got behind his wife, putting her upper body on top of his torso, and grabbed her hand. "Puoi farlo, my love. Ti amo tanto (you can do it, my love, I love you so much)."

"Alright I'm gonna need you to push again, okay? Push." Anne told her, and Veronica looked at her husband and cried, before letting out one hard push.
"Oh my god.." Des murmured breathlessly as the head peeped out.

Veronica took a deep breath and pushed again, squeezing Benjamin's hand so hard he thought she'd break a bone. But he didn't care, he continued whispering how much he loved her.

"One more push! You're doing great! Just one more!"

And she cried, she cried in pain, and happiness. This time she screamed so hard it felt like she was causing the storm, and thunder, which only roared loudly when the screams of a smaller voice filled the room.