Burn 1

Kelly Colton sat bolt upright in bed, her heart pounding loudly in her chest. Inhaling sharply, she blinked, taking in the dim light of her bedroom. Glancing over, she saw the other side of the bed was empty. Sighing tiredly, she looked over at her alarm clock on her bedside table. The bright, red lights read 4:45 a.m. Sighing even harder, she kicked back the covers from around her legs.

"That dream was much too good," she muttered softly to herself. "I've been trying to find inspiration for a new book and now I have. Might as well begin working on it while it's still fresh in my mind."
Rising up from her queen-sized bed, she stared around the empty bedroom. My new home for a year, before we move again... she thought tiredly. But she had known this was how it would be, before marrying Derek.

Her husband worked under year-long contracts for a private army. He made a ridiculous amount of money from it as well, so Kelly was a full-time mother and house-wife. But every time his contract came to an end, he would get a new one, in a different part of the world. Over the past seven years of marriage they had lived in first the United States, Russia, Egypt, China, France, Brazil, Australia, and Japan. Now they had once again returned to the States, until this time next year or so. Yawning, she moved out into the hallway.

As she walked down, trying to be quiet, she passed by the family photo that was hung up on the left-side wall of the hallway. Smiling, she paused to take it in.

She sat in a chair, wearing a sky-blue sundress for the photo. Her short blonde hair curled around her neck, her grey eyes sparkling with the wide smile on her lips. Her hair wasn't naturally blonde, but Derek said he liked her hair better blonde, so she had to dye it every few months and touch up her roots every month. On her left hand she wore her gold wedding band and a simple gold engagement ring with a small diamond on it, what she was wearing even now. Behind her, hands at her shoulders, was Derek in a white dress shirt and black dress pants. He was about six' one" so he was nearly five inches taller than Kelly. He had dark blonde hair and dark blue eyes. His lips were also smiling, the expression on his face filled with a gentle warmth. On his left hand ring finger he wore a simple gold wedding band. In Kelly's lap was Felix, who had been two at the time, a year ago. He had dark blue eyes like his father, as well as his father's dark blonde hair. Felix was dressed in a dark green button-down shirt and white shorts. His feet kicked out from Kelly's lap, the toddler having been incredibly excited by all the hustle-and-bustle of the photographer. Standing to the left of Kelly was their oldest, Lily. Six at the time, Lily had long brown hair and grey eyes like Kelly's. She was dressed in a pink dress with white, green, and red small flowers printed on the material.

Shaking her head a little to clear it, Kelly reminded herself why she had gotten up in the first place. Continuing pass the photo, she moved into the living room. It was an open plan, which worked out perfectly for her. Coming from the long hallway the TV, couch, and two armchairs were on the left side of the room, directly in front of her, the front door on that side of the room. On the far right side of the living room was her computer desk.

She was a full-time house-wife and mother, but she also wrote stories with what free time she had. She hadn't written anything major, hadn't ever even tried to get published. Derek made more than enough money, though they saved a good portion of it in college funds for Lily and Felix. As such, she had never felt any need to become published. Instead she posted her stories on an online site for writers like herself, getting feedback and gaining fans of her works. But for the past two weeks, after finishing her most recent work, she had been stuck in a rut. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't think up any good ideas.

That is, until the dream that had woken her up a few minutes before. She moved across the room, pulling back her padded, swiveling desk chair. Pulling up her Word application, she opened a new document and began to write.