Burn 2

Kelly woke up again from another dream. Sitting up in bed, she stared around blearily, her hands clenching the bed covers into fists. A deep shudder ran down her spine as she tried to calm back down. The nightmare had been so vivid. She could still remember it quite clearly.

"Ah, Jacob, I see you've finally given in. You've finally reached out and taken your world into your hands..."

"W-what have I done? I stole her away! I stole them both!"

"Shh, shh...There's nothing wrong with what you did. Don't you remember? He had everything you ever wanted. Now you've taken away only half of what he had. Only half isn't so bad. He still has his position as Heir and he still has his son to inherit after him. What else does he really need?"

"But...How can I have any of this?"

"With the blood, of course. Don't you remember our deal?"

Heart pounding in her chest, Kelly's mind spun. The voices, they had been so vivid. So real to her. She felt as is they were somehow half-familiar.

Hands shaking, she reached out. Beside her bed was her cell phone, which she rarely used. Her world was her kids and husband. Just like her daughter, it seemed mostly pointless to try and make any friends. With only a year at any residence, there was little point. As such, she had only two numbers on her phone. The first was Derek's, the second Doctor Fae's. Hitting Send on Derek's number, she lifted the phone to her ear. The bedside clock said it was 2:23 a.m. Please pick up, she prayed.

After eight rings, just as she was about to give up, she heard the line click. Derek's sleepy voice came on. "K-Kelly?" he grumbled tiredly. "What's wrong? It's...it's not one of the kids, right?" his voice suddenly shot into a panic.

"No...I...I woke up from a nightmare and I really just needed to hear your voice, Derek. I'm sorry for waking you," she whispered.

His voice shifted, turning gentle. "It's alright, love. I hate that it has to be like this. I wish I could be by your side, holding you right now, comforting you...Just two more days," he sighed.

Kelly ran a shaking hand through her hair. "Right...just two more days."

"I love you, Kelly. You, Lily, and Felix are my whole world. You're everything I ever wanted, everything I dreamed for. I thank God everyday that I was lucky enough to stumble into that coffee shop. You were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen..." he murmured reverently.

Smiling, Kelly felt torn. Her nightmare was still vivid in her mind and his words seemed to echo with the conversation in the dream in a way that made her feel strange. But at the same time, hearing his feelings, the sincerity in his voice...She knew she was loved and at his words, she felt the fear from the nightmare quickly fade away. "I love you too. I'm glad I was lucky enough to be assigned at the table you sat down at."

He chuckled lightly. "Do you want the truth? After that first day, I watched for the next couple of days, to see which tables you usually worked. And then I started making sure I always sat at your tables."

Shaking her head, Kelly yawned. "You're such a stalker."

He laughed fully now. "Yeah, but only for you. It kills me, love, having to be away from you like this all the time."

She nodded. "I'm the same." Taking in a deep breath, she decided to bring up the topic, since she was thinking about it. "D-Derek..." she began quietly, "I was thinking...We have so much money saved away. And the kids are getting old enough now, especially Lily, that they really need some stability in their lives. D-don't you think it's about time we stopped moving around so much? I really think it's best that we find somewhere permanent to live, Derek."