Burn 31

"Get up, boy," a derisive voice pulled Bren's consciousness to the surface.

Gasping, he shot up from his bed. Blinking, for two seconds, his mind told him that he was still shackled and hanging. That he was waking up to another one of Stacey's torture sessions. Unable to hold it back, he let out a very, very soft whimper of terror.

The voice gentled slightly and he turned his head to take in who was talking to him. "...I didn't mean to scare you, boy." The man was pretty short, about five' six", just barely taller than Bren. He had grey hair, looking to be in his sixties, but his dark green eyes were still sharp with intellect. He had a very strong chin and a crazy hawk nose, one that made Bren feel more than a little sorry for the guy. If nothing else, the man certainly wasn't a pretty sight, especially after Bren had just woke up. The man was dressed in the black suit that Bren had seen all the male servants wearing.

"Um...I'm sorry, but who are you?" Bren asked groggily, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "What time is it?"

"I, Brennan Garvin, am your teacher starting now. My name is Fredrick Alstan, but certain people seem to prefer to call me 'Freddy' instead." The man lifted up his right arm, glancing down at the clock face of the watch he wore. "It is currently 5:45 a.m., which means it is time for our day to begin. As such, get up out of bed and put some clothes on, boy. I do not yet have the proper attire for you ready. But, heaven forbid complications; they should be here by Monday afternoon." When Bren continued to simply stare up at the man in a daze, Fredrick clicked his tongue in irritation. "Do not make me repeat myself, Brennan. Get up and dressed this instant!"

Eyes still more than a little wide, mind still trying to take it all in, Bren shoved back his blankets and stood up beside his bed. Glancing down, he found that he was dressed in one of his casual t-shirts and a pair of shorts. Lifting his head back up to Fredrick, he shrugged. "Uh, is there anything in particular you want me to wear, um...sir?"

Fredrick let out a long sigh. "Black, of course. It is the most professional color for those in our profession."

Nodding, Bren moved to the small dresser he had been given in this small room and pulled out fresh clothes. He didn't have any black pants, so he went for dark blue jeans, since he figured that would be better than black shorts. After he had dressed, he turned back around. "Okay, I'm ready," he declared.

A vein was throbbing, just a little, over Fredrick's left eye. He lifted a hand and pointed to the boy's bed. "What's wrong with this picture, Brennan?"

Turning slightly, Bren took in his bed. He had thrown his 'pajamas' carelessly on top of the bed. Plus, his sheets, blankets, and pillows were all askew from sleeping and then getting up in a rush. He shrugged. "That's how my bed always looks in the morning."

"Yes..." the man very nearly growled out. "There will be a correction starting today. That's how your bed always looked. Now you will make sure to take the time to correct such grave errors before leaving for the day. Is that clear?"

Trying not to groan in anger, Bren nodded. "Yeah, sure, fine," he grumbled, moving over to the bed and starting to straighten it up. "But isn't this the job of the maids?" he asked. "Why do I have to do their job for them?"

A hand collided with the back of his head, whacking him hard, making him flinch and begin rubbing at the back of his head. He rounded on the man. "What the hell was that for?!" he growled.

Fredrick's green eyes were burning in anger as well. "Don't be smart with me, boy!" he snarled. "I am the Head Butler. As such, I am in charge of making sure that everything in the Winter Palace runs smoothly. It is my job, as well as my pleasure, to be the Lord of Winter's confidant. I am his aide, his right hand, his eyes and mouth, his tool for all things he cannot accomplish as just one man. You are my apprentice which means that when I pass on or retire, you shall inherit my job. As of midnight this morning, you are a servant. Any guest privileges or expectations you had or have are gone. You may be Lord Frost's ward, but he has decided to train you in the ways of leadership and hard work that is my job. As such, I am in charge of your every day life, until Lord Frost says otherwise. Now think about this, boy. Why should the maids be forced to do more work for you when you have two hands and are perfectly capable of making your own bed?"