Burn 27

The car came to a stop as close to the palace entrance as it could get. Sighing heavily, Jack glanced over his shoulder at his two new...humans. "Alright. I'm going to get out. Nisha and Bren, you know the drill. Um...other girl, I haven't gotten your name yet, but just stay in until I get you, alright?" He cut Nisha a quick glance. "I'll take you in first and then the others, alright?" In the blink of an eye he called forth his powers, gripping Nisha's hand as he opened the car door with the other. Nisha's cold fingers wrapped around his tightly. He wrapped a protective arm around her shoulders as he escorted her to the entrance. Once she was safely inside, he returned outside for the others.

The young woman seemed a bit hesitant to touch him, but a soft reassurance from Bren calmed her down. Once they were all inside the relative warmth of the Winter Palace, Jack dipped into a short bow, facing the boy and girl. "It's a pleasure to officially meet you, miss. I am Jack Frost, Lord of Winter, and master of the Winter Palace. Please, treat this palace as if it was your own home."

Bren took in the familiar entrance hall, letting out a weary breath of relief. "T-thank you, my lord," he quickly dipped into a bow. "I do not...I don't know how I'll ever repay you, not only for saving me but Megan as well."

Jack's bright eyes watched him quietly for several seconds, the atmosphere tense. "Yes...about that," he sighed heavily, running a hand through his hair. "Let us go to my study. There is much we must discuss." He turned on his heel, snapping his fingers. In an instant, a servant appeared. Nisha saw only the vague, shadowed silhouette of the Shadow People. But Jack, Bren, and Megan all saw a young woman with short, pixie-cut black hair in a dark blue maid's dress. The maid dipped into a curtsy, bowing her head. "Bring warm blankets, drinks, and food to my study for my guests. As well, bring a large house robe for my wife." Curtsying once more, the maid faded away as silently as she had appeared. Out of the corner of his eye, Jack noticed the young woman-Megan-pale at seeing this. So, she is unfamiliar with the Shadow People, he observed. Wrapping his arm around Nisha once more, he let his powers subside and led the way to his study in silence.

Bren glanced out the windows they passed, guessing by the darkness that it must be around ten or eleven at night. He had no idea what day it was or how long he had been kept in the East HRD building. All he knew was he was starving, exhausted, and terrified. Terrified for what had happened to his father, terrified of all that had happened to him, and terrified of what would become of him now.

Reaching Jack's study seven minutes later, Bren took up the rear into the room. Inside, Jack moved to sit behind his desk. Nisha glanced between Bren, Megan, and Jack, before moving to stand beside the warm fire that was burning in the fireplace on the left side of the room. From his desk, Jack motioned for the other two to take seats at the chairs in front of his desk. Slightly wary, the humans did. Once everyone was settled, the noble let out a long sigh. "So...I have paid five million jen in order to buy the two of you from the Auction. As a result, you each owe me a debt of two and a half million jen."

Megan hesitantly spoke up. "Um...listen, sir. I'm really sorry, but I don't even know what 'jen' is. I assume its your type of currency, like dollars. But I hate to break it to you...I have nowhere near that amount of dollars, let alone this jen."

Jack had leaned forward, propping his head against his raised hands on his desk while Megan spoke. Now he tipped his head toward her slightly, blue eyes flashing a lighter color for half a second. "Of course you don't," he muttered darkly. "That is a amount that almost every human in the Human World would have trouble gaining. Only a small few could afford such a sum. I didn't say you would be paying me back in that way. You will instead be working for me and the amount of work you do will determine how much you work off."

"Like slaves?" Megan choked. "Uh, no. I know how that goes. You're going to add interest and all of that sort of stu-" Very abruptly, she stopped talking and gasped in pain, clutching at her chest. "Fuck!" she cursed vehemently. Jack and Nisha blinked in surprise while Bren stood up and placed a hand on her shoulder. After a few seconds, the pain seemed to subside and Megan shot a glare to her left, over Bren's shoulder. "What was that for?" she demanded hotly. "I was talking to this-" She hissed, clutching her chest again. "Alright, alright, alright!" she growled in anger. Very slowly, she straightened before turning back to Jack.