Burn 13

Instantly, Nisha's spine stiffened, growing guarded. Fae, she thought uncomfortably, her expression beginning to reflect her inner feelings.

He slowly lowered his hand, blue eyes studying her face. "Huh...So, you're a human, but by your reaction, you at least know about the Fae family. Might I ask who you know?"

Nisha swallowed, voice tight with rage and hate. "Tatiana Fae. Let's just say that I have an old score to settle with that particular woman."

Oberon's entire body reflected an appearance of weary acceptance and long-suffering. "Ah, Cousin Tatty," he sighed, rubbing at the back of his neck again. "Well, I'd like to apologize for her. She's...um...Well, let's just say she's certainly a bad apple, even among my family. I really am sorry for whatever she may have done to cause you trouble."

Feeling a thread of curiosity, Nisha glanced into his brilliant blue eyes. "Why are you so...?" He doesn't seem crazy in the slightest. He's not randomly laughing, overly giddy, or giving off any sense of malice when he looks at me...That feels so strange, so...sane after knowing Tatiana for so long.

He chuckled nervously. "Normal?" he finished for her. "Let's just say I got lucky and I haven't inherited the madness my family is known for. But I did have to inherit my family and by default my family's reputation. You have no idea how many Others treat me the same, if not worse than you did, when they find out who I am. And if I'm not being looked at with disgust and distrust, it's with hate or fear." His left hand nervously pulled at the end of his shirt.

Blinking, she stared up into his face. She really took in his appearance and how he had been acting for the few minutes she had known him. I'm being an ass, stereotyping him just like any one else. Closing her eyes, she forced back the instant fear, hate, and anger that filled her upon hearing his name. Opening her eyes, she held out her hand this time. "Um, Oberon, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions like that. It wasn't mature or polite of me. By the way, my name is Nisha Frost."

His blue eyes, which had been lowered in an unconscious acceptance of rejection, flew to her face. A small, warm light began to fill them, as a mirroring smile lifted his lips. He slowly reached out his own hand again, shaking hers. "Nisha," he murmured, her name almost sounding like a caress. "Thank you..." He cleared his throat, lowering his hand back to his side. He tilted his head to the side slightly, studying her face in a critical manner. "Hold on...Frost...Wait!"

Suddenly, he lowered into a bow before her, looking almost terrified. "My lady, I am terribly sorry! I did not realize! Oh, but this means you must have returned, which is grand news indeed. I'm surprise an announcement hasn't been made. Who found you? I remember the award being...one million jen. Quite the prize and many Others have been searching, at least up until a few years ago."

Nisha's jaw dropped at that. "Uh, what?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I was a first year in high school of the Royal Academy. I remember, because when I heard the size of the reward, I honestly thought of trying to go hunting as well."

Nisha had no idea what to say to that. Blushing faintly, she stared down at the ground. Wow...Jack really was desperate to find Sera and I...

Oberon watched her for another few seconds. "You, um...you said you were returning to your room, correct? Please, let me escort you, my lady."

Nisha blinked, her gaze shooting back up. "Please, just call me Nisha. There's no reason for all that pointless formality. Besides, you are a member of the Fae family. If anything, I should be calling you 'my lord'."

He smiled. "Not at all. I am only the third son of the third son. My importance in my family isn't all that great. So much so that I am even allowed the ability to choose my own spouse."