Burn 25

Nisha's hands clench together tightly in her lap. To her right, Jack's tense voice filled the back of the sedan. "Now, remember. You're mute, alright? That means you can't make a single sound. Don't talk, cough, or yawn. It won't come out sounding the same as a real mute. Alright? Promise me," Jack's voice intensified, blue eyes burning into hers.

Sucking in a sharp, painful breath, Nisha slowly nodded. "I promise," she swore reluctantly. I can't back out now, she reminded herself sternly. After all, I was the one who coerced Jack into bringing me along, greatly against his will. She brushed a nervous hand through her long, auburn hair. One of the female servants had applied the wig expertly, in order to use as a form of disguise. Glancing down at her lap, Nisha let out a small sigh. "But, uh...Was it really necessary for me to be d-dressed like this?"

Jack's eyes moved to the left, away from her, and she watched a very faint blush run along his cheeks. "This is the only way I can think to bring a human into the Auction. With how old I am and how beautiful you are...This is the easiest act to put on, honestly. And the least...disturbing." He ran a hand through his hair, looking both awkward and nervous. "Look, Nisha..."

The car came to a stop, waiting in line behind several other cars that were dropping off their passengers. It was quite a sight, one that Nisha would have found beautiful, if not for what she knew it held inside. It was a grand opera house, with breathtakingly crafted architecture. Really, it was amazing..."Yes?"

"I know we sort of talked about it earlier, but...I want to repeat myself." Jack turned to look at her, staring down into her face. His blue eyes were filled with a desperate hope that she'd realize how serious he is. "Once I open this door and we step outside...Once that happens, I'm going to have to act like a completely different person. A person who I'd rather not be. But I need you to know that I don't mean any of the things I say or do. I have to act like this in order to hide our identities and to be able to get you inside, alright? And...well, I'm going to be touching you, a lot. You understand?" he asked awkwardly, blue eyes almost glowing with the intensity of his words.

Swallowing, Nisha nodded. "Yes. I understand, Jack. But it was I who decided to come. And if we're going to save Bren, then we have to do this. I can take it, Jack. As long as I know you don't mean any of it in your heart."

Closing his eyes, Jack fought with his inner demons. Despite all his good intentions, despite how he felt about Nisha...A part of him, no matter how small, almost enjoyed this. A part of him that he instantly despised and hated, but a part of him that existed nonetheless. Clearing his throat, he forced back his inner thoughts for now. He had a role to play and it was one that he didn't look forward to. "I don't," he confirmed firmly.

I don't, he reminded himself. So go fuck yourself! Jack mentally told the part of himself he was going to have to both suppress and call out into reality at the same time tonight. Feeling weary already, just at the thought, he reacheed out for the door handle. "Just remember, don't make a sound. Don't say a word. Don't make any protest. Don't fight back. And most of all don't let your emotions show through your eyes. It might be best if you just keep your head down and try not to look at anyone, alright?"

Feeling her nerves spike at his words, Nisha swallowed. "A-alright," she whispered. "Jack?" she asked softly.

Turning his head to glance over his shoulder, Jack raised an eyebrow in question. "Yeah?"

"I...I'm going to trust you. Just make sure that you get Bren back, alright? That's all I ask. Once we do, we can figure out where to go and what to do from there...together." Her heart began to pound in her chest at her words. "Promise?" she smiled a little, dark blue eyes reflecting her worry and determination. Besides the auburn wig, she also had in colored contacts to help with her disguise.