Burn 26

Bren curled his knees close to his chest, sighing wearily. He glanced to his left, seeing Megan starting to wake up from where she had been dozing lightly. She yawned, stretching out her arms. He saw her blink a few times before letting out her own sigh, very similar to his. "Still in the cage," she grumbled.

Bren kicked his feet out a little, just to have something to do, before returning to his earlier position. "Yep," he agreed with her sentiment. "Now that you're awake, you should move to the center of the cage. The closer to the bars, the worse you're going to feel," he reminded her. "All the anti-magic metal is going to drain you of energy and make you feel sick."

Megan shot him a nervous glance. She rose to her feet and moved forward another seven feet or so before stopping. But she was only about halfway between the iron bars and the very center of the cage. "Uh, Megan?" Bren asked, a little perplexed. "You really should get to the center," he insisted.

He watched her cheeks flood with pink. "I...I can't," she confessed in a soft voice.

"Can't?" Bren repeated. He stared between her, the bars, and the center of the cell where he was sitting. "Why not? All you have to do is move a little further. There's what," he took in the space separating them, "five feet left? Seriously, you'll feel a lot better the farther away from the bars you are. I don't feel like I'm going to throw up anymore, which is a relief," he told her, trying to encourage her to do the same.

Her blush darkened. "But I can't," she insisted.

Sighing, Bren rest his head against his knees, watching her. "Why don't you tell me why you can't then?"

Megan let out a low, mocking chuckle. "You won't believe me," she brushed off his interest.

Bren laughed himself, though with a lot less humor in his voice. "Look where you're at and what's happened to you since you were captured. Since you were brought to the East building that obviously means you have some sort of magical ability." He paused, thinking about it. Actually, how did they know that I do as well? he wondered. After the first time Stacey fed from me, yes, the HRD would have known. But before that...He was pulled from his thoughts by Megan's quiet, shy voice.

"A-alright...But I've only ever told this to two people in my life so don't..." She sucked in a sharp breath. Her light green eyes were filled with nervous uncertainty. "You see...I kind of have...a dude chained to me...to my soul, actually."

Bren stared at her for several seconds. Letting out a low breath, he activated his Sight. Staring at Megan, he could just barely make out a white and dark blue interlocking chain. But he couldn't See much of it. Just that it started vaguely around her chest and it lead behind her. Moving his gaze to follow the chain, he found that he wasn't able to See more than two feet past Megan. Squinting, he focused his Sight even more. He felt his head beginning to ache from pushing his ability, but as he looked past the bars, he could just barely make out something. A shadow...vaguely human-shaped.

"H-hey! Are you okay?" Megan asked worriedly, pulling him back.

Blinking rapidly several times, he shook his head, holding it gingerly as the pounding pain kept up. "Uh...y-yeah. That chain you mentioned...it's white and blue, right?" Very slowly, he raised his head up so that he could see her a little better.

"Yeah..." she murmured in surprise. "Wait, you can see it?" Her head whipped behind her, to where Bren had seen that shadow. "What?" She paused, as if listening to someone else. "Oh, so Bren has m-magic then?" she asked in surprise. "So that's why his eyes started to turn gold just now?"

Clearing his throat, Bren shifted, curling his feet beside him instead of to his chest. "Yeah," he explained. "I have the Sight. Or...I have a form of it, anyway. It's not like what people usually think, where I can see into the future and stuff. It's more like...I can see other's souls."