Burn 28

Jack's arms caught the boy as he passed out. Slowly, Jack straightened and rose to his feet, holding the boy in his arms, if not a little awkwardly. Brennan was tall enough that Jack struggled a little, though his struggles had nothing to do with the boy's weight. Nisha stepped forward and placed a warm, comforting hand on Jack's shoulder. As he turned his head to glance down at her, she flashed him a weary smile. "I think it's time we went to bed." Nisha motioned for Megan to come as well before leading the way out of Jack's study.

Nisha took the lead, Megan walked a few feet behind her, and Jack took up the rear. None of them said a word as Nisha began scrolling through a mental map of the palace. Once they came across a guest room that wasn't very far or too out of the way to the dinning hall the Frost family all sat down for meals in, Nisha stopped. Opening the door, she stepped inside and flipped the switch.

Megan blinked at the sudden light and Jack came up behind her. Silently, he moved over to the large king-sized bed, gently lowering Bren onto the bed. Lifting his head, he glanced at Megan. "You don't mind sharing the bed with him for the night, do you?" he asked as a after thought.

Shaking her head quickly, Megan moved further into the room. "Not at all!" she enthused softly. "I don't think he should be alone right now anyway. Don't worry about us," Megan insisted. "We'll be alright for the night." She studied the couple, light green eyes filled with worry. "You two really do looked tuckered out. You should go to your own room and get some rest." She blinked at the strange, almost awkward look that past between the couple at her words.

Nisha flashed a brief smile. "You're right. Well then, we'll be going now. Have a good night and please look after Bren for me, won't you?" She moved back out into the hall, but Jack didn't follow. She raised a brow in question as he still stood beside the bed next to Bren.

"I forgot to remove their collars and bracelets," he explained. Reaching down, he pulled out a small key that the tall, blonde attendant had given to him while escorting them to the cage Bren and Megan had been kept in. He placed the key inside a small keyhole on the side of the collar around the boy's neck. The thick metal fell off with a muffled thud against the pillows of the bed. Jack gently, careful not to wake Bren, moved the collar from under the boy's neck. Then he unlocked the bracelet on his wrist. Done with that, he moved to Megan's side and released her. He gathered up the offending metal and threw it away in the trash can on the other side of the bedroom, next to a desk against the wall. Dipping his head in a small nod, he passed by Megan once again and followed after Nisha into the hallway. Megan followed them enough to close the door and then they were alone.

Turning on her heel, wrapping her arms around herself, Nisha started off. After several tense seconds, Jack followed, unsure what she was planning. But he definitely wasn't expecting her to stop at his bedroom-their bedroom, years ago. Reaching it, she turned and opened the door, walking inside. Bewildered, Jack silently followed Nisha inside.

Turning on her heel, Nisha pointed to the large bed across the room. Jack noticed that her hand shook slightly, but not as badly as he expected. "Alright. Off to bed you go," Nisha commanded like some fussy mother.

Despite himself, Jack couldn't help but blink in confusion and chuckle a little. "Um...yeah. That's the plan. But what are you doing in here? Planning to join me?" he asked, in a tired flash of teasing. He certainly wasn't expecting her answer though.

"Yes," she answered firmly, almost calmly. "I'm coming to bed with you."

Eyes growing wide, Jack slowly focused his gaze completely on Nisha's face. "You're what?" he gasped. "Nisha...do you even know what you're saying?"

She nodded, dropping her arm. "I do. Now, you should get out of that suit." She stepped closer and began to undo the buttons of his suit shirt.

Jack reached up a hand to stop her, holding her wrist. "Nisha...really, do you know what you're doing right now?" he repeated. "Was that little bit of wine too much for you again?" he wondered aloud.