Burn 30

Two hours later, Sera stood beside Bren, while he crouched down slightly so that she could show him exactly how to hold the bow and arrow. They were inside a large room that Jack had had refurbished for the sole purpose of allowing Sera to practice her hobby. Over the past month it had been done and Sera had even hung out with Jack several times to practice archery with him. She really liked those days, despite herself. But even so, she didn't want to look at Jack as anything more than just that. He was just...

Bren glanced down from the corner of his eye, seeing Sera was frowning fiercely in annoyance about something. He lowered his hands, plopping down on the floor where he stood, carefully placing the bow and arrow beside him on the floor. At his sudden movement, Sera blinked in confusion before spotting him on the floor. She peered down at him in confusion. "What are you doing? Are you bored now?" she asked.

Flashing a tired smile, Bren shook his head. "No," he assured her. "It's not that. I just want to talk." He motioned to the spot of the floor right in front of him.

Slowly lowering down, Sera watched him curiously. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Are you still having problems with Jack?" he asked bluntly. Her cheeks flushed with color and she started to shake her head. "Sera, you shouldn't lie to me, okay? We're best friends now, remember?"

The girl paused, looking uncertain. "Best friends can't lie to each other?" she asked in confusion.

Shaking his head, Bren shrugged. "Well, I mean, they can. But that defeats the purpose of a best friend. Their meant to be someone you can always depend on, someone you can talk to about anything and everything, no holds barred. So...beginning this friendship by lying to me isn't a good start. I'll ask again. Are you still having problems with Jack?"

She stared down at the floor, sitting with her legs curled up against her right side. Her long hair half-covered her face, blocking her expression from Bren's view. "Yes..." she finally admitted quietly.

Inhaling deeply, Bren slowly reached out and took hold of her hand. When he did, her gaze shot up to his in surprise. He sucked in a harsh breath at the pain her grey eyes brought to the surface. It was a struggle, but he forced himself to keep looking in her eyes. "Sera...I know this isn't exactly my business, but as your best friend, I feel I need to say it." He force his gaze to remain steady and serious.

Sera's eyes, watching him, were a stormy grey. "You only get one chance, okay? I know you don't want to believe or admit it, but Jack is your dad. I can tell you with one hundred percent certainty that you are Jack Frost's daughter. Before you tell me I'm lying, remember what I said. I won't lie to you, remember?"

Sera's face screwed up in pain. "You don't know that," she tried to insist, barely holding back her emotions. "I'm not..."

"Sera!" Bren growled out in annoyance. His outburst made her flinch and grow quiet. Seeing this, he fought to soften his voice. "Look, I literally just went to my dad's funeral two hours ago. I don't...I don't want you to regret it later, alright? You never know when the people who love you and you love as well will be taken away. And I know..." he swallowed, closing his eyes briefly. "I know that this is probably too much for you to really understand right now. But I think you need to try, at least, to accept Jack for who he is. It's obvious that he loves you..."

His voice trailed off for several seconds. He fought to keep himself calm, careful not to reveal more than he could. "Look, Sera. You can choose to believe what you will, but this is the truth. Jack-your dad-loves you more than you'll ever know. He's done many things, in order to try and make sure you're life will be happy. He's done things in the hope that one day you'll fall in love with a guy who will treat you as if you're the most precious treasure in the world."