Burn 14

Nisha waved the four off. Jack glanced at her a little uncertainly as he was about to shut the hotel room door. "You gonna be okay?" he asked.

She smiled. "I'm a big girl. No need to worry. I could use some time off from the kids. Have fun," she grinned. "Try not to be too worn out for our date," she teased.

Jack blinked before a warm, happy smile made his eyes sparkle. "I think you underestimate me, Nisha. I can handle these guys, no problem."

She held back a giggle. "And I think you overestimate yourself..."

"Daddy, go, go, go!" Felix insisted, dragging at Jack's sleeve.

Jack turned his attention down to the toddler. "Alright, alright. What should we do first? We had breakfast earlier, so-"

His voice was cut off as the door closed behind him. Nisha shifted from where she was sitting on the bed, taking in the quiet. She closed her eyes and soaked it in for several minutes. Then her eyes shot open and she jumped to her feet. Alright, she thought in determination. Moving around the room, she searched for paper and something to write with. She found a small note pad and pen in the drawer of the little night table between the beds. Settling back on the bed again and getting comfortable she began writing.

I met Jack in my childhood. My father died around when I met Jack. But...who is Quilo?

On the paper, she wrote 'Quilo', then circled and underlined it, with several question marks. Her memories pulled up what she remembered of Jack telling her in that blizzard as a child. 'I, Jack Frost, will be the one who will take over the life Quilo Frost was meant to lead.'

Jack...Quilo...both of them have the same last name...But who is Quilo? How is he related to Jack? She tapped her pen against the notepad, thinking. The name kept spinning, over and over in her head. She would start to feel as if she was incredibly close to remembering...But then it would suddenly vanish. Groaning in frustration, she threw the notepad across the room. She had no idea why, but she knew this was something she should have never forgotten. So why couldn't she remember?!

She felt a strange, almost frantic sorrow fill her and a few tears began to fall down her cheeks. Sucking in a sharp breath, she wiped at her eyes. What was her problem? Why should any of this make her cry? It was no use though...A deep part of her heart was aware of something she knew nothing about. Rising to her feet, she decided to take a bath. Hopefully a long soak in hot water would help her feel better.

Forty-five minutes later, she was definitely feeling better. She walked out into the room, wrapped in a towel. The dye was slowly but surely fading even more, making her hair appear as a dirty blonde. She lay back on the bed and decided to just relax and watch some TV that didn't have to be PG appropriate, something she hadn't really been able to do in what felt like forever.

As the hours passed by, she found her mind wondering to later tonight. Part of her was incredibly shocked at herself. Not only had she been bold, telling Jack to take her out on a date. But she had also surprised herself by doing so in the first place. She glanced down at her left hand, staring at the ring that rest on it. After a few seconds, she took it off and held it up to her face in her palm. She lightly ran the tip of her left index finger along the thin engravings of frost that decorated the silver. As she did, she tried to sort through her feelings about this whole situation.

Do I even consider myself Jack's wife anymore? We've been married for eight years and separated for seven of them...Does that still mean we are married, or is there some sort of unspoken rule that says we aren't? If we aren't married, am I okay with that? Am I okay with it if we are?