Burn 9

Nisha slept with the kids that night. The next morning, while at breakfast, she really met Jacob's 'official' wife. At the sight of the tall, dark haired, green-eyed beauty, Nisha felt a prick of anger. Instantly her mind screamed she had no reason to, but her heart wasn't completely convinced.

Though, Nisha had turned pale when the thought I was his wife first, bitch, popped into her head. She had been midway through her breakfast. After glancing up at Lisa, the thought had appeared. She quickly lowered her eyes back down to her plate. Her heart rate sped up, both confused and angry with herself that she would think something like that.

Sucking in a long breath, she forced herself to push all of that ridiculousness aside. Continuing with her breakfast, she was careful not to glance up at Lisa again. Quentin and Glacia were ecstatic that she had remembered so quickly. But everything was also incredibly awkward. There were so many problems with how she had disappeared. No one was brave enough to try and put it out into the open, or be the first to bring it up so that it could be moved past.

Once breakfast was over, Jack stood up. "Alright. We're going to go on a little family trip," he declared.

Nisha blinked, taken aback. "Family trip?" she repeated.

He nodded firmly. "Yes. It will only be for a week, but we'll go to a small resort in the center of the Other Realm. After the week, we'll have to enroll Aiden and Sera into the Royal Academy. For right now though, I feel it is better for all of us to spend as much time together as possible." Jack turned a steely blue gaze to his father. "Father, I request you take over my duties for the next week."

Quentin instantly nodded, lifting his hands up in a dismissive gesture. "Yes, yes, alright. You all go ahead and have fun. I'm just glad we've all been reunited."

Glacia took in the children, fighting tears. "M-must they leave so soon?" In her heart, she was terrified she'd never see any of them again. She was terrified that allowing them to leave her sight would make them all disappear. I just found my granddaughter and my daughter once more.

Swallowing, thinking about it, Nisha couldn't help but agree. It did seem like a good idea. Nodding her head slowly, she flashed Jack a faint smile. "I have to agree. I think it's a wonderful idea, Jack. Thank you."

Barely stopping himself from blushing, Jack nodded, lowering his head slightly. He inhaled, trying to fight down the emotions in his heart. Some part of him had expected Nisha to disagree. Going on this little family trip meant getting closer to him as well. It meant that they would be together, with only the children. None of his other family would be going and there would be no silent, but constantly present servants either. He gulped, all of it just hitting him. His hand shook slightly and he moved it behind his back. What the fuck have I just agreed to do?

He forced himself to calm down. We need this. All of us need to get to know one another better, to learn about each other. And that includes Nisha, damn it, he berated himself. I can't play chicken. I can't keep hiding behind my fear. Fucking hell, I did it and I need to own up to it...He raised a hand to his temple, fighting a sudden urge to cry. I've become a weak little pansy these past years. The only thing I can do is lash out like a child and hurt those I should be protecting instead. His other hand at his side clenched into a fist. I can't keep doing this bullshit.

Slowly lowering his hands, he turned his gaze to Nisha's. He smiled, if only a ghost of a smile, staring into her grey eyes. "You're welcome." He cleared his throat, coming to several decisions in quick succession. "Kids, I think perhaps you should spend a little more time with your grandparents, for now. Your mother and I need to talk about a few things before we get ready for our trip."