Your Call by Secondhand Serenade

"Morning, Ryan." Joe says and I can tell he's away from my mom cause there's no shouting or loud background noise.

"Why are you calling so early?" I rub my eyes and sit up in my bed. Another interrupted morning and another call from my parents. What could it possibly be now? For fuck sakes.

"I don't know where you are right now or if it's even in the same time zone.." He coughs, hacking for a few minutes until he continues. "Your mother thinks we talk about your dad."

"Can this wait for later?" I groan, throwing my blankets off my legs.

"You always say that, Ryan, and then you never talk about it now. We're talking about this now." He barks and then takes a deep breath. 

I just pull my knees up and rest my face on them before letting out a loud sigh. I would rather talk to my mom, but she's probably still asleep. I mean, who's even awake at 6AM? Joe.

"What is it?" I say quietly.

"Your mom and I talked about this last night-ish.." He blabbers on. "Stop hyperventilating and be an adult." He says and I realize my breath in panicky.

"Sorry." I mumble.

"We should talk about your dad. You know, how he died and stuff." He says nonchalantly.

Joe the only person I expected to be light about this, really. He knew how much I hated him. I mean, we'd bad mouth him together and now he thinks we we should fucking discuss his death? He's dead, that it. Life is for the god damn living.

Before he can continue, I close the call and slam my phone down beside me. I let out a sigh. I wish I could cry, you know? I haven't in a while. I feel like I've been strong for so long. I've forgotten to be sad and this feeling in my stomach is just payback for forgetting it for so long. As if it was my own fault for being happy. Because Ashton makes me happy.

Ashton!

I should think about him and not my dad and not myself. Yeah, Mr.Irwin.

I feel like things are moving so damn fast but so slow at the same time. Usually, I've slept with the guy and left him and probably on a new guy. Nearly It's been about almost two months now, I'm so shocked. I don't think that that's the most shocking part though, it's that he's still around. That he hasn't left even though I've tried to push him away and hasn't done anything bad.

Well, except that fight with Izack? I haven't heard from him in a while. Well, except for those small talks before shows and the smiles from off the stage. They're really good live, so great but not good enough to blow 5SOS out of the water. They're just dorks with someone instruments that they play pretty hard.

I get up and change into some real clothes; some jeans and my batman shirt with the sleeves rolled. The wind is picking up now sadly, I'm gonna miss the smoldering heat.

I leave the room, with my bag on my back and walk into the hallway. I pull out my phone from my pocket and shoot ashton a quick text.

'wake up, ashy ashy. I have an adventure for you.'

I put my phone in my pocket and lean against the wall beside their door.

'its 6am ryan!' 

I knock on the door lightly and hear him groan and then hands stumble for the door. I sit up and smile when I see him open the door in just pajama pants and his hair tousled.

"You look adorable." I smile. "Let's go, an adventure." I smile.

"But it's 6AM." He says, rubbing his eyes like a small child and I can't help but nearly fangirl squeal inside me.

"You have plans with your band mates and I wanna go out. We can talk?" I say and I know he wants me to open up, so he just nods and closes his door before he quickly goes in. I sit back on the ground and yawn. First step, coffee. That's a must. And not just hotel coffee, real coffee. 

When I hear the door open I just look up and see Ashton in his normal jeans, Weekend Warrior shirt and his little hat. I stand up and he just yawns and stretches his arm. I take his hand and lead him out of the building.

The streets and quiet and the sun is just now setting. The streets aren't too busy, it seems as though we just missed the rush.

"So, where too?" Ashton mutters quietly, as though if he'd talk he'd wake the whole world.

"Coffee." I say, squeezing his hand. "It's on me."

"You sure?"

"Of course." I smile and he squeezes my hand three times and I can't help but smile cause it reminds me of when my mom would do it, she would do it as though she was saying 'i love you'.

-

-

-

After three coffees, a few hours of walking, Ashton and I had managed to find a random park that was not completely dead yet and there flowers and trees everywhere. We were sitting high up in a tree after I spent twenty minutes to convince him it was a nice place to be.

I was wrong cause quickly after cause I fell from the tree and landed on my butt.

I lay there a minute, laying on my side and rubbing my butt. I'm not gonna cry infront of Ashton, even though it really hurt. And he's chuckling up in the tree. He sees that I'm not laughing and quickly climbs down.

"You okay?" He says, squatting beside me.

I pout my lip. "I hurt my butt." I sniffle.

"Awwh, don't cry. Cmon, I'll carry you." He says, putting his arm under my neck and knees and lifting my up with grace.

"Put me down." I giggle, wrapping my arms around his neck.

It's about 9:35 now and all I want is to sleep some more. But I won't tell him that, I'm having fun.

"Let's go back to the hotel." I ask, laying my head on his shoulder. 

"So you can walk?" 

"Nono, carry me." I smile. "ooh.. ahh.. my butt hurts oh no.. " I say, fake crying.

"I know you're faking his." He laughs.

"Hey, you laughed at me so this is punishment." 

I hear him sigh and he quickly carries me back.

***

"You know, you've slept all day." Luke pokes at me in the back and I roll away from him, sticking my tongue out.

"Hm?" I sit up and look at the clock, seeing 5PM.

"We've already done sound check. Ashton wanted me to come get you." 

I just nod and yawn, stretching my arms out again the same way I did in the morning. Somehow, I've managed to sleep all day, but I guess that's what happens when you sleep three hours the night before. Luke sits on the bed then gets up again, sticking his hand out for me.

"Maybe you should come, you know, cause your job." He laughs and smiles. "Ashton was talking to fans so I told him I'd come get you to avoid them."

"I can't avoid them forever." I bug.

"You should until Ashton asks you out soon." Luke says and then covers his mouth quickly, his eyes wide.

"What?"