17. Calm

"Good morning gentlemen. So glad you could make it to my class this morning. You can make up the 30 minutes you missed at lunch." Mr. Wize frowns at us and I can hear some kids snicker as Oli and I walk to our seats.

We'd been late because we were talking to Ryan. He had an update for us. Apparently the police had decided not to charge their father and instead sent him to a rehabilitation facility to get help. Their aunt was granted custody of them until the court deemed Aaron to be a fit parent again. Basically he got off with a slap on the wrist that bastard.

Class went by quickly, granted we missed almost half of it and for the most part I wasn't paying attention. Oli and I made our way out of the room and Mr. Wize called to us, "Mr. Quinn, Mr. Jordans, lunch time. Don't forget."

~~~~~~~

"Hey you." Hennessy comes up behind me and wraps her arms around my torso. I can't help but smile.

"Hey."

"Wanna walk to lunch with me?" She turns so that we were facing each other. Lately it feels like her eyes are searching my face for signs of panic and I hate that but her brown eyes hold so much love and kindness that I can't be mad.

"Unfortunately Oli and I have a lunch date with Mr. Wize. We were late to his class." I shrug.

"Boo." She gives me the puppy dog sympathy face and I chuckle.

"We'll talk later, yeah?"

"Yeah."

With that we part ways with a kiss on the cheek and I meet Oliver at Mr. Wizes classroom.

"Have a seat boys." His voice is soft yet commanding and I'm not sure how he is able to do that.

"So, would either of you boys like to tell me why you missed most of my class? I mean you boys aren't honour roll students but this isn't like you."

The silence was deafening and heavy. Luckily Oli spoke up because I don't think I could have.

"We just have a lot on our minds lately."

"I see. This is about Mr. Williamson. You guys are good friends. I commend you for your efforts but you shouldn't let this interfere with your school." I can't read the expression on his face.

"We know."

"You know I met my wife in high school. We've been together 22 years now. When we first met I would've never guessed that she was being abused at home. She was always so bright and bubbly. The biggest and most important thing I learned from her is that time is a friend. He knows you're there for him and he's grateful I swear it. He's not mad at you, he's mad at that monster he calls a father and he's just very embarrassed that everyone knows. He just needs to sort his head out but when he's ready, he'll let you know." Mr. Wize looked us both in the eyes before he stood up and went to his desk.

"Thank you." I whispered though I don't think he heard me.

"Get outta here, both of you."

~~~~~~~

Mr. Wize's advice was a nice gesture and it helped coming from someone who had been in a similar position but it felt like lately all people were doing was giving us advice and it hadn't done much good. Until it did. The three of us were sitting at our usual spot in Rush and much to our surprise Jake walked in.

I half expected him to pretend that he didn't see us and walk back out but he didn't. Instead he walked over to us and not one of us knew what to say.

"Hey." he nodded.

"Well are you going to just stand there or are you gonna sit with us?" Oliver asked.

Just like that it was as if nothing had happened and I felt as though I had always belonged right there with them. We laughed and joked around and we didn't talk about the bad things. For the first time in a while everything felt like it might be okay.

 For the first time in a while everything felt like it might be okay

//AN - Yay Jake is back everything is good now time for drama!!//

~ Kim XOX