Chapter 1

"Good morning my dear," Maxon says kissing my bare shoulder. His muscular arms wrap around me. I turn and face him. "You always have a cute bed head," I say giggling. He looks up, trying to see his hair. "What do we have planned today?"

"I have meeting of course. Maybe for lunch we could do something together."

"I like the sound of that."

"Maybe we could be in this exact same spot," he says in a deep husky voice. Our lips touch. He rolls on top of me, never breaking our kiss. I hear a door open and scream. He jumps off of me. I cover my bare body with the sheets. "I'm sorry your majesty," a guard says, "the advisors request your presences immediately."

"Thank you," he says, "tell them I'll be right down."

"Yes your majesty," he says then shuts the door.

"I guess that ends our morning together," he says getting up. Instead of going to the shower he scoops me up in his arms. "Maxon put me down!"

"What was thay your highness?"

"Maxon!" I squeal. A figure bursts through the door. I scream once more. He shields my body with his bare body. "We're okay Officer Avery." The guard steps out leaving us. This is the fifth time it's happened. This is one of the worse moments it's happened. Maxon lifts me up and puts me in the shower with him. "Maybe we can extend the morning together," he says seductively in my ear.

Once we're both out, Mary does my hair and make up. She knows how I like it. She gets a blue dress that goes to my knees. It's sleeveless but still covers my shoulders. I leave my fiery hair into long waves.

I head to my first meeting of the day. All I hear is blah blah blah. I nod and smile when they all turn to me. They continue murmuring about whatever they were talking about. I wish I was back at my honeymoon. Maxon and I alone. No duties and no responsibilities. The nice Paris air flowing through the curtains. The waves hitting the sand outside our bedroom window. It was absolutely amazing. I wake up from my daydreaming when everyone gathers their stuff up. I hope they didn't say anything important.

I stroll back to my study. I get out the documents and papers I need to approve. Some is about dissolving the castes and some is about expanding our army. My hand stiffens after a while. I get up and pace, waking my legs up.

I look out my window. The gardeners are triming the bushes outside. The sun shines brightly. They wear sun hats and wipe their sweat off their brow.

I finish up the last of the papers and start to revise the new budget. I didn't think being queen would be this much work. I thought you could snap your finger and it would be done. Or a fairy God mother would appear and grant your every wish. Like the old stories from the secret book room. I think they were called fairy tales. Cinderella was my favorite.

When I'm halfway through a knock comes to the door. "Come in," I say. The long blonde hair peeks through the door. "Marlee! Just the person I always want to see."

"Hey America," she says as I get up to embrace her.

"How are you? I haven't got the chance to talk to you lately."

"Good. I think the three of us are just fine." It takes me a minute to comprehend what she just said. I replay the words in my head. My eyes light up with joy. I squeeze her and jump up and down. "That's amazing! I'm so happy for you!"

"Carter is getting very protective about me. He says he protecting the both of us," she says laughing.

"I'm so happy right now. When is it due."

"Not until another nine months. We just found out yesterday. But I came here to ask you something very important. It's okay if you say no. Carter and I are totally fine if you say no."

"It's okay if you want to get a house outside of the palace. I understand that you want to expand your family. If you do I'll really miss you around here. I don't know what I'd do without my best friend." She starts laughing. "That's not what I meant," she says through her chuckling, "Carter and I want you and Maxon to be his or her's God parents."

"Oh my gosh! Yes! Of course! A million yeses!" I say almost vaulting through the ceiling. "I knew you'd say yes. Carter is freaking out what color the room should be. If we need to get a crib now. He's all over the place. Every night he sleeps with his hands on my stomach."

"That's so cute. Maxon and I are trying but have no luck yet."

"I'm sure it will come," she says patting my shoulder, "I'll let you get back to work."

"Thank you! I'm going to be the best God parent ever."

"There no doubt about it," she says flashing a smile then shuts the door. I get back to the paper filled with letters and numbers. My mind drifts off to Marlee and Carter. They're the perfect couple. Then I wander to Maxon and I. We have to have a child. It's part of my oath of my country. To produce an heir. We both want children regardless of that rule.

I head to the kitchen to get a glass of water. A maid stops me and says she could get it, but I like to roam the palace. The art on the walls. The extravagant light fixtures. The large windows that let the entire sun through. It's absolutely stunning.

Dishes clank and the sound of water spraying fills my ears. Along with people shouting. I grab a glass and fill it with water and head back upstairs from the basement.

On my journey back I hear a familiar voice. I'm about to run up to him but I stop. Their conversation sounds very intense. I stand behind the corner. I know it's rude to eavesdrop but don't we all?

"She won't find out," Maxon says, "trust me she doesn't know a thing. We're fine."

"I don't know. I don't like doing this behind her back."

"I know but it's better if this is kept a secret."

"I don't like to keep secrets it's dirty."

"You'll be okay. Meet me in my office in an hour and we'll discuss more about this."

"Okay," the unknown woman says walking off. What would they be talking about. What do they mean by 'she doesn't know a thing'? Is it me they're talking about.