Chapter 20

Maxon's POV

I wake up to America heavy breaths. I perk my head up. She flips side to side mumbling. Her entire face is covered in sweat. I caress her cheek and try to wake her up. I hate to do it, but I hate to leave her in nightmares. "America," I say rocking her. She mumbles something. Her breathing begins to speed up. It's like she just ran a marathon. Drenched in sweat. "America," I say louder. I shake her harder.

She flips over to me, still asleep. "America!" I say. Tears escape her eyes and her breaths are labored. "America!" I yell. I shake her by her shoulders. She shoots up, screaming and crying. She get breaths in between tears and her screaming. I cup her cheeks. "Look at me. It's okay. You're safe." Tears stream down her face but she's stopped screaming. "You're okay. It was another nightmare." She gets breaths in between her sobbing.

"You," she says crying, "You." She doesn't finish. She breaks away from me. She bawls into her knees against her chest. I don't know what to say. Her whole body shakes in fear. How am I supposed to regain her trust in me?

"Please Maxon," she whispers, "go." I feel awful. She doesn't want to see me. She doesn't want me to be near her. And it's all my fault for doing this. We could be happy and together. If I would've just stayed on the track, on America's track. Now I'm lost and hopeless, without America. She won't forgive me. I know she won't.

I walk out feeling ashamed. Leaving her in that kind of state. She can't even look at me. I sit in a chair outside the room. Doctor Lander walks in the room. For some apparent reason I think about the rebels. Then about how they want America. We have a spy amidst us. Bald, mid forties, has a beard. I should be able to spot him. It can't be a guard, we don't allow them to have beards. Maybe a palace worker.

I hear America scream. I feel like I should go in there but she doesn't want to see me. Another one of her screams pierces my ears. It sends chills down my spine. Scream after scream. I want to go in there but it will only make things worse. Her pain makes me hurt. Her sadness makes me depressed.

After another scream I've had enough. I can't stand out here and do nothing. Whether she likes it or not I'm going in there. She needs me. Doctor Lander can't do anything about it. I open the door slowly.

America is screaming as tears fall out of her eyes. Her wrists are restrained to the sides of the bed. Doctor Lander looks at me. "It's best if you get out of here right now," he says. America is starting to dose off. Her head starts turning side to side. "Maxon," she whispers. "Don't you dare get near her," he says, "turn around and don't say a word." America whimpers weakly on the bed.

I turn back to Lander. "You're the rebel. The spy," I say. "Great job for finally noticing. Now please just turn around and go."

"What are you doing to her?" I demand. He pulls out a little medical knife and grabs America by her hair. He puts the blade to her neck. "Get out or she dies," he says. America whimpers, starting to drift off. "America!" I yell, "Stay with me. Let me see those beautiful eyes," I yell to her. She picks her head back up. It looks like she's struggling to keep her head up. "What did you do to her?" I shout at him.

"Very heavy medication. If too much is in the body, it could lead to a permanent coma. For the rest of her life. If you don't get out, that's what's going to happen. She's gonna be asleep forever." America trys to rip her restraints off but fails. A tear drops out of her eye. "Why do you want her?"

"Maxon tick tock. The medicine is killing her. Get out!"

"I hear you're a deadly assassin. Why don't you just kill me?" He remains silent. I take tiny steps forward. I inch my way towards him. I get to the to where America's legs lay, before he notices. "Not a step further. I'll slice her neck open." America is limp. I can see her eyes trying to stay open. Her lips mumble something. "Take a step forward she dies, then you," he threatens, "Leave! The medicine has probably shut down most of her brain cells."

I realize how stupid I was. He was right in front of me the whole time. Bald and has a beard. He came here a year ago. Why hadn't I seen this. He did seem shady when he first arrived. Just his look seems off. But I never thought to think the rebel was this close to America. I don't even know if she's healing. He could've put some poison in her medication or IV fluids. I shake my head at the thought. I'm a complete idiot. 

America is unresponsive. No sign of movement. She lays helplessly on the bed. Wrists tied to the sides of the cot. I start to back up towards the door. I open it behind me. I take another good look at America. I mouth, 'I love you' then shut the door.