Chapter 41

America's POV

I pick out a casual maroon shirt with a pair of jeans. Celeste picked out the jeans. They have rips at the knee caps. She also said I'd look like a 'total bad ass' if I wore a leather jacket. It's like a crop top length and has long sleeves. Once I have them all picked out, I change into them. I'm in the middle of putting my shirt on, when the door that goes to Maxon's room swings open. I scream and cover my barely covered chest. "Sorry!" He yells. Maxon quickly turns away as I throw my shirt on.

"You're good," I say. He turns around. Maxon looks so much better in casual clothes. He has a pair of black joggers on with a red loose tank top on. His arms show. The hills and valleys are very defined. He has a white flat bill hat on backwards. It doesn't look like him. "You look good," he says as I put my leather jacket on.

"So do you. You don't look like you." He chuckles out loud. "Here put these on," he says. He hands me a pair of sunglasses. "At night?"

"I don't want people to reconigize us. If I did I would've wore a suit. I wouldn't be showing my arms or wearing these bagging pants. But they are quite comfortable. And I especially wouldn't be wearing a hat backwards." I chuckle at his ranting about his clothes. "No guards?" I whisper. He shakes his head with a grin across his face. "We're going to sneak out. Well, Mary is going to help."

My door opens with a big laundry cart. Mary pats it. "Hop in," she says. Maxon and I cram in the cart. She puts towels over us. I have to sit between Maxon's legs. My legs are to my chest and Maxon's are crammed in here too. His chest is against my back. I can feel his breathing on my head. "This is an exciting adventure," he says. I chuckle. Mary kicks the cart. I hear her shush us.

The cart stops moving. The towels are lifted off of us. I stand up and jump out and Maxon does the same. "How are we supposed to get back in?" I ask.

"We're going to have clothes here. Then you'll have to change really quickly. Then you can go as you please," Mary whispers, "there's a car waiting for you with a driver. Trust me he won't say a word and I guess you're all set. Good luck!" I hug her bye and head out the door. Maxon opens the door for me. I crawl in the back followed by Maxon.

I don't know who the driver is. Maxon talks to him. Apparently he knows where we're going. We drive for about thirty minutes. He drops us off in front of this fountain with stores surrounding us. Then he drives off. I must look like an idiot wearing sunglasses at night. I take them off. I'm pretty sure no one is going to recognize me at night.

"We have to meet him here when we're done," Maxon says. I nod.

"What are we going to do?"

"There's a park over there," Maxon says. He grabs my hands and we walk over to the park. There's trees with lights strung up in them for the new year. People walk by us like normal people. We go unnoticed.

We walk along this trail. Many people are here at this time of hour. As we're walking about eight kids are playing soccer. They accidently hit it over to us. Maxon picks it up and walks over to them. He starts hitting it up and down on his knee. Then starts kicking it in the air making it go behind him, then he kicks it back to the front. He uses the sides of his feet and legs to control it. All the kids are awestruck.

He gives it back to them. They're maybe ten to thirteen. All of them are probably twos. One boy hands it to me. Telling me to kick it in the air. I agree hesitantly. I'm probably going to make a fool out of myself.

I bounce it on my knee then try and kick it up. But the ball flies at Maxon. He tumbles to the floor moaning. Great, I hit him in the not so good spot. All the boys laugh. Maxon gets up, recovering. "Dang, that hurt. A lot!"

He bends over taking deep breaths. Maxon shakes it off. The boys get over their laughter eventually. One of them might be five. He's probably the smallest. He little fingers tug on my jeans. "Can you play with us," he asks me. "Sure!"

He runs over to his friends and they run over. "I want him!" I boy yells pointing at Maxon. "I want her! She's hot!" A boy yells. Maxon bursts out in laughter. The five year old pulls me with him. I kneel down to his eye level. "What's your name?"

"Grayson," he says.

"That's a cool name. I'm America," I say.

"Like the queen?"

"Yeah! But I'm not her. Queen America is way prettier than me," I say chuckling. I go to where the group of boys are. "Okay so you can go left forward. You'll be across your boyfriend," a boy says to me. "Do you know how go play?"

"Kind of," I say.

"Don't worry, it's not that hard. Just try and get it in that goal," he says.

"Got it!" I say. Before we start I throw my flip flops off with my jacket. I go to my spot across Maxon. "Ready to go down?" Maxon says. I laugh out loud, "That's funny," I say. The kid starts to kick it. Maxon pushes me and blocks me, "I think this is obstructing my view." I say trying to get in front of him. He keeps block me with his back.

I jump on him and he falls with me on him. We both are laughing. Somehow I ended up on him. I give him a quick peck on the lips. The boys come running over. All of them say ew or gross. I get up and a little boy walks up to me. Probably eight years old. "Can I get a kiss? Right here?" He says pointing to his lips. I stick my lips out and give him a friendly kiss. His eyes are huge. He runs back backwards tripping but getting back up. Still looking at me. I laugh at him. I'm probably his first kiss.

We play for a while. Maxon scores, of course. By the end Maxon is breathing heavy. The little boy I kissed is still staring at me. Maxon runs to the bathroom and I sit on a bench. The little boy runs to what looks like his brother. He's probably eighteen. I can tell the little boy is telling his brother he kissed me.

He takes his brother's hand and drags him over here. "This is her!" The little boy says proudly. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive Luke. This is her. Ask her!" This Luke guy looks up at me. I mean, actually looks at me. I don't think either of them recognize me. "Woah," Luke says. He extends his hand, "I'm Luke," he says sitting down.

"America," I say. It still doesn't phase him. "Cool," he says, "I hear you kissed my brother." I nod laughing. "I saw you playing soccer. You were pretty good."

"Sure," I say laughing at the fact, he thought I was good. "You know, there's a place over there. It's really good, you wanna go there?" He says.

"Uh-"

I feel two hands rest on my shoulders. Then lips on my cheek. "Ready?" Maxon says from behind me. "Who is this?" Maxon says. "This is Luke. Luke this is my husband, Maxon." Luke gulps. "You're- you're- married?" He stutters. I nod. "Yep she's my wife," Maxon says jumping from the back of the bench to sit in between us. Luke shoots up and takes his brother. His little brother waves at me and I wave back.

"That was an interesting experience," I say. Maxon laughs loudly. "I didn't need anyone to hit on my wife," he says, "and I didn't want anyone to ruin this relationship. We're fixing it and nobody should get in the way of it." We sit in silence for a while. I don't know what to say.

"America, I just want to put this out there. I love you, and nothing will ever change that. My heart is yours and only will be yours. I want to have a life with you, have kids, grow old together. And I hope you feel the same way too."

"I can't say I do," I say quietly. Maxon looks like as if he was shot a million times, "My feelings are still unsure. I want a straight answer before I do anything. I need it to be solid, and I hope you can understand that."

"I do," he says a little disappointed. I'm yelling at myself. I know what I feel, but when the time comes to tell Maxon, I can't get it out. It's like my feelings are afraid to reveal themselves to Maxon. As if he'd hate me for loving him.