Chapter 10

I wake up still in my ball gown, tucked into my covers. Dried tears stained my face. My make up is wiped off and my jewelry is taken off. Mary or Paige must've came in.

I flip to my side and look at the clock. It doesn't even matter. Today I don't have to do anything early. Not until six.

Maxon floods my brain and tears flow out of my eyes. After about an hour of crying I change into some casual clothes. I get a pair of jeans and a t shirt. Saturdays I don't have to look my best if we don't have guests. I flop back on my bed. I stare at my ceiling. Was I not good enough? Did I not love him enough? Did I get old and boring for him? Tears run out the sides of my face and spill onto my bed.

The picture of him with her burns in my mind. Him toples and her with just her undergarments infuriates me. They were in our bed. Our bed. He was on her in the bed. She must know about his scars. Or she was too drunk to notice. I don't even know who she was. She was around my age, maybe younger, blonde. They were laughing and kissing in the bed I've slept in. The bed I sleep in with my husband. With Maxon.

I feel part of this is my fault. I don't know any answers to my questions. If I wasn't good enough or if I got boring. The more I think about it makes me sob even more. How could he do this to me?

Once the tears subside for a while, I head to the kitchen to get a snack. As I'm walking out the girl comes out of Maxon's room. She has her dress on. She smirks at me and her smile grows. She knows I caught them last night. I don't know if Maxon does. Then she struts away. I could kill her if I wanted to, but I'm not that heartless. More guilt rushes to me. I want to yank her hair out and slap her. There isn't a guard in sight on this hallway.

I go to the kitchen with tears starting to form. I grab a glass of water and run to my room. I set it on a table and cry into my hands. Mary and Paige come and comfort me. They know by now Maxon and I have fights. But they don't know he's cheated on me. Paige strokes my hair. Mary rubs my back trying to calm me down.

My mind won't stop thinking about Maxon and that girl. The more I think about it the more I feel at fault. And the more I feel at fault makes me weep more into my hands.

I eventually stop crying and lay on my bed. Paige and Mary are quietly sitting on a sofa sewing or reading. They don't want to disturb me.

I don't even roll over to look at the door, when a knock comes. Mary goes and answers it. "Your majesty what a pleasure."

"Is America in there. I need to speak with her now," he says sounding nervous.

"She is but I don't think she wants to be bothered right now."

"Its very urgent. It can not wait. Please I need to speak with her."

"I don't think-"

"Mary please."

"Her majesty is very upset and fragile at the moment. If you could come back at another time."

"Please. Our life depends on it." There's a long pause of silence. Mary sighs then let's him in. Paige scurries out the door with Mary.

I don't face him. If I do I'll burst into tears again. "America?" I don't respond. "I know you really don't want to see me right now or even breathe the same air as me. But I need to explain what you as last night. I really love you and aways will. Please just hear me out."

"There's nothing to explain about you having sex with another woman. In our bed, Maxon. In our bed. The bed I sleep in with you. You have sex with another woman in our bed. What kind of ass would do that. There's nothing to explain what happened," I spat. Maxon looks down and takes a deep breath. "America I love you and that will never change-"

"Apparently I don't love you enough. For you to do that with her. Who is she? Did you even know you were doing that?"

"If I can get a word in, I can tell you."

"Okay then. Go on," I'm getting angrier by the second. I'm ready to explode in his face. There isn't tears anymore. It's all pure rage. "When you thought I cheated on you I was devastated. Then this girl shows up. I fell for it and it happened," he says. I clench my jaw and ball my fists. I wait for him to finish. "Then when we made up, I told her to never come back. Then when you were in a slight koma or deep sleep," he says as his voice starts to crack, "I was falling into a hole of darkness. Then somehow she was there. I was very easily manipulated and then it happened again. I broke it off the next day and told her that I never want to see her again. Then last night was my fault. She was at the festival. I danced with her, I had to. If I would've said no it would've been mayhem. I had way to many drinks. We went to the room and it happened. I know she's not pregnant. She gave me protection on each of the events, I guess you could call it that."

"Get out!" I scream, "GET AWAY!"

"America please-"

"Please what? What is there to beg for? You've betrayed my love, my heart. You've betrayed me! Me Maxon! Your own wife! And somehow I feel like all of this is my fault." He stays on the side of my bed. His face is red with embarrassment and sadness. "Get out," I grunt. He doesn't move. His eyes are getting glossy. "Fine," I snap, "if you won't go, I will."

I stomp out and slam the door. I go to a bench out side. I fall into the grass and sob my eyes out. Tears flood out of my eyes. My hands are soaked. I rest my head on the bench and just let them fall. Maxon flashes in my mind. Just that one moment keeps coming to me. I don't know if I'll ever get over this.