Chapter 26

Maxon's POV

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. She's so beautiful as I stare into her ocean blue eyes. I've missed this feeling for so long. It's like I've been oblivious to all the good in the world. And that's America. She is what makes my world turn. Every part of me is her's.

America's face takes a sudden turn. It switches to an emotion I can't read. Something that is not good as of the looks of it. She pulls out of my gasp. Her eyes look down. "I think I need to rest," she says quietly. I nod and get up. "Bye, America. Sleep tight," I say before exiting her room.

Aspen is outside her room, guarding. "Afternoon Officer Leger." He nods at me, glaring. I walk off with his eyes burning in my back. I get down the stairs and two arms pull me away. Lips are on mine and hands are messing my hair up. She pulls back out of breath. "Listen Emily-"

"No time to chat. I have to go soon," she says then slams her lips on mine. Of course being stupid me, I fall right into her trap. We don't do anything too serious. All we're doing is making out in a corner. I open my eyes and see the familiar blonde hair stop. Marlee stares at me, with ice cold eyes. She shakes her head at me. Then walks off. I pull away from Emily. "I have to go," I say.

"So soon?" She says grabbing my arm before I walk off. "Yeah, we need to talk. Very soon," I say then rip my arm out of her hand and chase after Marlee. Hoping to explain myself. Marlee realizes that I'm following her, and starts to quicken her pace. She can't walk to fast since she's pregnant, so it's easy to catch up to her.

"Marlee please-"

"Maxon, I don't understand you. First you cheat on my best friend, then go back to her, then do it again and again. When will you come to your senses and stop being an ass!" She yells. "Marlee, I think we should go somewhere private."

"Why? You don't want everyone to hear that you're just a player?" She shouts, "I'm disgusted by you. At least have the decency to cheat on her while she's not fighting for her life," she snaps. Her eyes are on fire. "Marlee-" I'm cut off by a slap on the face. It burns, and I'm pretty sure it left a handprint. "You don't deserve to speak. You don't deserve America, and she doesn't deserve this thing you're doing to her," she says cold hearted then stomps off.

My guess it's the pregnancy hormones. But I did deserve that. I deserve every bit of it. She's right. America shouldn't be punished because of my mistakes. I find a near by bench and put my face in my palms. I sigh and rub my temples. What's happening to me? I wasn't even intoxicated. I run my hands through my hair.

She needs to go. I can never tell her that because I never see her. If I do I'm usually drunk and forget about the whole thing. I rub my hands on my face. I sigh in frustration.

I stroll to my study. I get my unfinished papers and work on those. My eyes spot a envelope in the corner of my eye. I open it up, revealing a letter.

1,000,000 dollars for your wife. You have one week. Once the time runs out you'll be getting her piece by piece. We will contact you when we want the money.

There's a picture of America limp tied to a chair with a towel covering her mouth. I realize she's wearing the exact same clothes as she was today. They must've just got her.

She looks lifeless in the picture. A tear escapes my eye. She doesn't deserve this. I slam my fists on my desk. More rage ignites in me. I chuck the letter across the room. I grip my hair, almost pulling it out.

A phone interrupts me. I walk cautiously towards it. "Hello?"

"Maxon! What a joy to hear you."

"What do you want? Give me America!" I yell.

"Now, now, don't get too carried away. We want the money in a week. Feel free to get help. We don't mind."

"What do you want!"

"I've already told you. We want the money. Then we will negotiate America. We will call you when the time is up."

"Whose we?" I demand.

"One week or else. A link is on the letter. Open it and you'll get a surprise."

"Where's America!" I yell. He laughs on the phone then hangs up. I chuck the phone across the room. My whole body is consumed with anger. I take a side table and throw it against the wall. Leaving splinters everywhere. Guards rush in the room. Guns drawn and pointed at me, then they conceal them to their holsters. "Your majesty?" The familiar voice angers me.

I shoot up with fire burning in my eyes. Heat melting me. "You!" I say accusing Aspen and pointing my finger. "You let her go!" I say in his face. "Your majesty, I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"You let them take her and now she's gone. Suffering, alone, probably being tortured calling for help. But nobody can help her, because she gone," I spit. "Sir-" I grab him by his collar and slam his head into the wall. I kick his stomach and groans on the floor. "Get him out of my sight," I spat. Two guards take him out of the room.

General Norris enters the room. "I've just been informed about the situation sir," he says saluting me. "At ease," I say, "America is gone and it's Leger's fault. He let them take her."

"We've found that she was taken through her balcony. Officer Leger had no idea that she was taken. He assumed that she was sleeping."

"Whose done this? I want to know now!"

"I know you do sir, but we have no lead." I grab the letter off the floor and hand it to him. He quickly reads it then flips it over. "Sir? What is this on the back?" I shrug. It looks like a bunch of letters. "It looks like a channel or satellite number to tune in to." Norris flips the TV onto the channel.

America pops up on the screen. He read hangs low, she looks dead. "Glad you could join us your majesty. We can't hear you right now, so there's no point of shouting to her. She's been unharmed so far," he says. I never see his face, he's behind the camera the whole time.

"Since we are so nice, we've been tending to America's wounds. By the looks of it they should be better soon. Maybe in three days. Her stitches are nothing but faint lines now. They've dissolved quickly. And don't worry we have medical assistance here, so we know what we're doing. Her arm is regrowing the skin. We've given her some medicine to speed the recovery up. Just wanted to give you an update. If you want to talk to us dial this number," he says holding a piece of paper up to the camera. "Before I go, I want to let you know there is a spy among you. Watch out," he says. "And it wasn't just Lander. We'll keep this camera rolling, so you can watch her whenever. Have a wonderful evening, King Maxon," he says then the sound cuts off.

I switch the TV off. And put my hand in my hair. "Our special forces team is on it right now. You have nothing to worry about. We have this handled, your majesty," he says then leaves me on the verge of tears. I slam my bedroom door, then flop on my bed.

It's all my fault. If I hadn't kissed her I would've stayed in there with her. She wouldn't be gone. She's probably scared and has no idea what's going on. I don't even know what's going on.