Chapter 39

Maxon's POV

We get out of the safe room. America runs off to somewhere. I have nothing to do, because I told the advisors we're taking a break. So I don't have any work to do. Besides work on America and I's relationship.

I don't think either of us will show up to dinner. I feel like I have to start over everything I did with America. That means go all the way back to Selection days.

At seven I go and knock on America's door. I hope she'll answer. Or she could be getting ready for bed. Mary answers the door. "King Maxon! A pleasure," she says curtseying. "No need, Maxon please. Anyways is America available?"

"You caught her in the perfect time. She just finished dinner. She's in the bathroom at the moment," she says, inviting me in. I stand there as Mary resumes her cleaning.

America comes out the bathroom, and stops in her tracks at the sight of me. "What are you doing here, Maxon?" She says trying not to be rude. "I wanted to know if you'd like to go out on a stroll in the gardens?" I ask. For some reason I'm nervous. It's my own wife, I shouldn't be. "Sure, let me get a jacket," she says. Relief has swept over me. I would've looked like a fool being reject by my own wife.

I offer her my arm and she takes it. I think everyone in the palace knows what's been going on. Rumors spread quick. We head out the glass French doors. The air is a little nippy tonight. That's surprising for Angles. It's always warm.

I glance over at America. Her necklace catches my eye. It reflects the moonlight as she walks. I can't believe she kept it. The necklace I gave her. I'd think she'd burn it or throw it away.

She catches me staring at her. Her dazzling blue eyes stare into mine. "You kept it," I say looking at her necklace. She nods. "I'm surprised, I thought you would've burned it or sold it."

"You should know by now, I'm always full of surprises," she says giggling. I smile at her. She flashes one back. I can see her blush a little and she pushes a stray hair behind her ear. "It's beautiful out here," she says getting the attention off of her. "It is," I say looking at the night sky above us.

We get to a grassy area. I stop and sit on the ground. I pat the space next to me for her to sit next to me. She settles herself next to me. She lays back to face the stars. I join her. "I always loved to have our dates outside," she says. Her eyes never leave the stars. I turn on my side to face her. She twists her head towards me.

Her beautiful teeth flash a smile, and I do the same. She giggles to herself. "What?" I ask. "Nothing," she says through her giggling. I start to laugh myself for no reason. Somehow our hands are touching. Her's is in mine. I've missed this touch. I needed it and I savor all of it. Her hand is so soft. It's like a cloud.

The laughter fades and America rolls back to face the starts. She rests her hands on her stomach. I sit up with my hands behind me holding me up. America does the same. "Maxon," she says.

"Yes?"

"Do you think there's a chance for us to fix this?"

"I do think so. If we help each other and work together, we're going to be us."

I hear her sigh. I know she doesn't know what to feel. I've toyed with her emotions so much, she can't even tell if she loves me. I turn my head to her. I brush a hair behind her ear. God, she's so beautiful. Her perfect face looks at me. She gives me a smile. Her lips draw me in. I don't even think, I lean in.

I've missed this feeling so much. I still feel that spark between us and always will. Her lips are still on mine. I bring a hand to her cheek. I kiss deeper not thinking. My mind just wants America. She immediately pulls away. Her whole body stiffens. I put my hands on my face and let out a long sigh. I went to fast. I need to slow down. I don't think she was ready for it. "I'm sorry, I went in for it. I knew you weren't ready but I did it anyways. I don't want this to effect our relationship-"

"Its okay Maxon. I kinda liked it. I just need to make sure all of my emotions are in order." Relief washes over me. At least she liked it, or somewhat liked it. "So... where are your feelings?"

"I don't know. Part of me wants our relationship to thrive and another wants to be alone."

"I like the first one."

"Yeah," she says giving a slight laugh. She lays back down and curls up into a ball. If I had a jacket I'd give it to her. I stare out into space for a while. I peek back at America. She's fallen asleep and is shivering. She looks so pitiful. I wrap my arms around her to warm her up. She snuggles up against my chest. I plant a kiss on her forehead, wishing her a good night's sleep.