Chapter 18

I wake up to snoring in my ear. I'm back into a hospital gown. A breathing tube rests above my upper lip. I turn my head and Maxon has pulled a chair next to me. His head is right by my ear. My hand rests in his. I carefully slide it from underneath his. Then his reflexes kick in. He grabs my hand and jerks his head up. Once he sees me he let's it go. "Sorry," he says.

I look out my window. It's dark, stars light up the sky. "How are you feeling?" Maxon says. "Fine I guess."

"Doctor Lander told me the burning in your legs is caused by you being in a coma. Since your legs were not active in two weeks they were pretty much asleep. They're starting to move around and stuff. He said it should take a few days for a full recovery. He said that you have to stay here for two days. They have to keep you under their watch."

Doctor Lander walks in. "Your majesty, glad you're awake. I'm assuming his majesty told you your situation. Nothing to worry about. We just need to keep an eye on you," he says. He takes out a bag with clear liquid in it and replaces the old one with the new one. "This is just to keep you hydrated." I nod. "Good night your majesties," he says then walks out.

Maxon sits in the chair facing me. "I'll let you rest," he says getting up. I want to tell him to stay but I don't have my feeling in order yet. "Maxon," I say. "Yes?" He says with a little bit of hope in his eyes. He stops at the door turning around. I'm about to say stay but something else comes out, "Good night," I say shyly. "Good night, America. Sleep well," he says then walks out.

I fall back into my pillow. It hurts when I do. It hits my back. And the hospital gown is open in the back, so my scabs and stitches are exposed. Whatever Doctor Lander put in the fluids it knocks me out.

I wake up screaming from another nightmare. Ever since I've woken up, every night I've had terrible nightmares. Surprisingly Maxon is here comforting me. I'm getting used to the routine of Maxon calming me down from my nightmares. He shushes me and tells me it's alright. He rubs my arm and I flinch away. He looks saddened when I do that. I put my knees to my chest and cry into them.

Maxon tried to touch me but I don't let him. My nightmare makes me fear his touch. Like he might beat me or kill me. "America it's okay. You're safe, it was just a dream." I'm still in a ball weeping in my knees. I hear the door open to the room. Doctor Lander comes in. "Is she alright?" He asks Maxon. "She's been having terrible nightmares. Every single one she wakes up screaming and crying. I'm getting worried," Maxon says.

"Its the trauma. When the event occurred, it in a way was cemented into her brain. She keeps reliving the same moment or different moments, but the same kind of situation. She might even be dreaming about the culprit behind this. She might have seen his face."

I know I won't tell anyone Maxon did this. I'm too afraid to. I roll to my side, staying in a ball. Tears slide down my face. "Is there anything we could do about the nightmares?" Maxon asks.

"I'm afraid there isn't. It's just mentally healing. She takes the time she needs at her pace. There's no way for anyone to control it."

"Thank you Doctor Lander."

"Please call or yell if you need anything," he says then leaves. I feel Maxon sit on the bed next to me. He rubs my shoulder, trying to sooth me. "America please look at me. I know I'm the one you see in your dreams. And I'm terribly sorry for what I did. I will never forgive myself. But please just look at me. I want to help you through this as much as I can." I roll over, tears still streaming out. He brushes the hair out of my face and behind my ear. I sniffle back some tears and wipe them away. The tears soak up and are saved for another time.

"I'm sorry I've done this to you. If I hadn't done this you wouldn't be in pain or traumatized," he says stroking my hair gently. His fingers wipe away some wet spots on my cheek. He glides his thumb on my skin. His face gets closer to me. His lips press a kiss into my cheek. "I love you," he says. I know I still love him but I'm still trying to recover. I don't have the words to say it back. I stare at him and he stares me. He waits for the same words to come to him but they don't.

He sits back in the chair and leans his head back. He lets out a long heavy sigh, then puts his head back up. His eyes burn into mine. I avoid them and roll over. Then grab the covers and try and fall back asleep. I feel his eyes burning into me. If I turn around, there's no doubt that he would be staring at me. I shut my eyes and pray that I don't have another nightmare.