Chapter 12

Maxon's POV

I'm going crazy. What have I done? I just beat the life out of the love of my life. She will never forgive. Why am I so stupid? I slap my hand to my forehead then sigh. I grip my hair. I pace in circles. I'm never going to be able to see her again. What was I thinking?

It's her fault. She gave me the drink. I should've never took it. Now that I've sobered up, I'm going to burn these sheets. I shake my head at the thought of my actions. It's Emily's fault. I should've never fell into her trap. Now I'm stuck in it forever.

I should go check on America. She probably doesn't want to see me at all. She'll never want to see me after what I've done. My mind tells me it's all her fault. I don't even want to say her name. Then goes back to America. She could be bleeding out to death right now.

I put a shirt on and head to next door. Blood fills the carpet. She lays there lifelessly. Her face is pale. Her chest rises and falls very little. At least I know she's alive. "America," I say as my voice starts to crack. I pick her up as her back is covered in blood. Her night gown is shreaded from the slashes. Tears form in my eyes.

I pick her up and run to the hospital wing. "Come on America. Stay with me." I run to the nearest bed and lay her down. Nurses and doctors swarm around us. I block out all of my surroundings. All I see is America. She looks helpless as she lays on the bed. The doctors hook wires and IVs to her body. The heart monitor shows her heart rate. Only one sentence appears in my brain. "We're losing her," or "She's lost too much blood." My world crashes around me.

I step towards her but the nurses are in my way. "Your majesty, please step into the waiting area." Her words don't phase me. I keep pushing to get to her. "Your highness, please go sit down." I ignore her. I hear them call for guards. Two guards address me but my mind is set on America. They say something. One of them grabs my arm and I punch him square in the nose. The other grabs me and takes me outside. I try and run back in, but both of them tackle me to the floor. "Get off of me!" I yell. They keep me restrained onto the floor. "Sorry your highness, you have to let them do their job."

Somehow I get my arms free. I slam both of my elbows into their faces. I run back in. This time three other guards come in. One holds me by the shoulders, another is holding my arms back, and the other is pushing me back. I yell out, trying to get to America. They hold me back. I use all of my strength to leap towards her. We all tumble to the floor. They're piled on top of me. "Let me see her!" I yell. A doctor comes by and sticks a needle in my neck. "Just let me see her," I say softly as he pushes the liqid in. I fall into darkness.

I wake up in a hospital bed. The covers are over me. My white t shirt is covered in blood. Someone must've cleaned the blood off my arms and neck. Two guards wait outside my door. I step out and they look alert. I walk towards where America was. She's not in there. I go find a nurse. "Do you know where America is?"

"She's in surgery at the moment."

"Why?"

"She's lost a lot of blood. They found a donor very quickly. I heard that she also has to get stitches in her back. She was torn up pretty bad."

I fall to my knees and bawl in my hands. This all my fault. I'm never going to forgive myself. She's never going to forgive me. My eyes pour more and more tears out. The world around me has ended. Everything is crashing down. It's only a matter of time til it's shatters and is lost forever.