Chapter 34

America's POV

My heart is officially confused. I have no idea what to do. I'm going back to Maxon but part of me stops me. I need to take the plunge and stay in that decision. Once I make my decision I must stick with it.

I'm getting bored in this box. I need some fresh air or something. I slide to the edge of the bed and dangle my feet over. My legs start to wake up and move. I bend my knees a couple more times, then get up. A pair of yoga pants, a t shirt and jacket rest on a table. I take off my hospital gown and change into them.

I make my way down the hospital wing. Nobody stops me. As I walk down the halls, bright light beams through the massive windows. I put my hands to the glass. I don't realize I'm day dreaming until I run into something. It's a little tree. It's not just any tree, it's a Christmas tree. Last time I checked it was October. Since I was out for a month, I guess it's Christmas. Or it's towards the new year.

Unfortunantly it doesn't snow much in Angeles. If I could wish for anything, it would be snow. My mind wanders off into another day dream. I'm playing in the snow with my children. We're throwing snowballs at each other. Laughter and giggles fill my ears. My breath is frozen, as I breathe out. Maxon tackles me into the snow. My whole body feels like it's frozen. "Looks like I won the snowball fight," he says. I grab a fist full of snow and shove it into his face. He rolls off and I tumble on top of him. "Think again," I say giggling. The kids come and pile on top of Maxon and I. We all laugh. The whole atmosphere is filled with happiness and joy. Only if it was real.

I snap out of it, when heavy footsteps run down the hallways. Guards are training. They're about to go outside. I wouldn't want to get in their way, so I have an alternative route. I head up to the roof. The sun hits me just right. It's kind of chilly out. There's a slight breeze, and no sign of a cloud in the blue sky.

I go up the edge. Geometric shapes appear, from the bushes outside the palace. Then a large wall borders the grounds. Not much farther than that is the trees. I wish I could go out in the real world. Not have everything I want at a snap of a finger. But I'd like to see how the people live out there. How I could help change their lives. Help the people instead of assuming what they want or need.

I always wonder what it would be like if there was no castes. Just a normal life. Have a job, a family, a house. I'd like to imagine how life would be like that. I read in a history book, long ago people lived life like that. But then fell into debt with all the freedom. Then Gregory Illea took over. Now we live like this.

I hear two footsteps hit the floor behind me. I jerk my head towards the sound. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Maxon says. "You're fine," I say then turn back towards the view. He comes right next to me, and rests his hands on the railing. "It really is beautiful out here," I say in awe. I see his face look at me then smile. My head turns to face him, then reflects a smile like his. "What's happened since I was asleep."

"I don't know if you noticed a big holiday is coming up. Leaders from other countries have sent there get well wishes to you," he says, "the report has been extremely lonely and boring. It doesn't have it's happy mood anymore. It's just like another Friday of announcing the current state of Illea. I've promoted Aspen Leger to general now. He deserves it." I can tell he's hesitating to say something. He bites his lip unsure. "Please Maxon, whatever you're holding in, I can handle it."

"When I tell you this, you have to promise not to be mad. I know I've made stupid mistakes but please try and stay calm." I nod.

"Emily has shown up when you were gone and in a coma. She has told me she is pregnant and it is my child," he says the last part quietly. Hoping I didn't hear it, but I heard every but of it. From the first breath to the last word. I don't know what to think anymore. I thought Maxon and I were getting a little back on track. But now I don't even know.

He's having a baby, which should be mine. But it's with another woman. I can't get over the fact, that my baby should be with me right now. And now Maxon and this girl, Emily, are having one. A baby that Maxon hasn't killed. A baby that's not living in me. A baby that I might not be able to see. A baby that's not mine and Maxon's.

I burst into a million tears. I'm more devastated than angry. I should be having a baby right now. Not her! Me! My heart aches. I didn't even meet my baby, and I've already fallen in love with it. But then the love was crushed. I lay on the ground on my side, and let the tears slide onto the concrete. "America, I'm so sorry. I needed to tell you somehow. We couldn't move our relationship if we kept secrets from each other," he says.

I sit up and wipe most of the tears away. "You've moved this relationship. But you've moved it the wrong way. And I don't think it can go anywhere but down," I snap. I stand up and walk away. Maxon runs his hands through his hair. I hear him pace. "America wait-" he can't chase me, because I've already slammed the door. I run to my room. Guards see me but don't stop me. I turn down the hallway. I'm not looking where I'm going and run into someone. And it's the last person is ever want to see.