Chapter 17

America's POV

I feel empty. Drained from happiness. My happiness is gone and taken away from me.

Maxon sleeps soundly next to me. I get up slowly. I walk to the bathroom. I look at me. Last night was just a dream I keep telling myself. It felt so real. No blood, no new wounds. Still me being all stitched up. I hop in the shower. My legs feel better but still not back to normal. I can't run, I can only walk slowly. I change into yoga pants and a sweat shirt. Maxon is still asleep. I dry my hair off and put it in a pony tail. 

I feel like I need to do something. I can't stop being queen. I have to take care of the country. I shut the door careful not to wake Maxon up and head to my study. I take a seat in my chair. I get out some papers. My mind can't focus. I have a massive head ache. I'll just walk around the palace.

As I stroll the halls I run right into May. "Ames!" She says then squeezes me. I flinch in pain a little. "Sorry," she says, "I'm so happy you're awake. We got here in a matter of seconds when we heard that you were awake."

"I'm glad to see you too. You've gotten so tall."

"You say that everytime you see me."

"Everyday you look more grown up," I say, "Where's mom?"

"I don't know. I do know that you aren't supposed to be walking around. You should be in bed."

"I've been in bed for almost two weeks. I think I'm fine."

"You need to heal more. You can only walk like a turtle. You're so slow. You need to get better. And to get better you need to rest. And to rest you need to be in bed. And to be in bed you can't be walking around. And to walk around you need to get better. And to get better you-"

"I got it May," I say laughing, "I just felt like I needed to get up and do something. I think I might take a walk in the gardens. You want to join me?"

"Sure!" She says. May makes sure I don't fall. She's always asking if I'm getting tired or if I'm in pain. "Are you and Maxon okay?" She asks. She must not know what exactly what happened between us. "We're in a bit of an argument."

"Ames, I'm not Gerad. I can understand if there's something bad going on."

"I'd rather not talk about it."

"That's fine. I didn't know if you wanted to talk about it or not."

My mind goes to Maxon. Then to my baby. It races between the two. I know I need to get over this. But I don't know if I can. My child was killed. Maxon could be put in jail. I wouldn't do that to him though. Thinking about me telling someone about what he did makes me think about my dream. I'm afraid my dream would come true. Or it would be worse.

"Ames are you okay? You're just staring at the ground ahead of you."

"I'm just thinking."

"About what?"

"Just everything that's happened and all."

"Last night freaked everyone out. We didn't know what happened. Mom talked to the doctor and he said it's trauma. You're still trying to process everything and all. He said that it could take a long time for you to heal mentally. But he also said that you're a fighter and you don't let anything take you down," May says smiling. I smile at the fact that everyone knows I'm stubborn. They know I will fight for what's right.

"May," I say, "Could we sit down for a second?"

"Sure! Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, my legs are starting to cramp."

We find a bench. May helps me walk over. Before I get to it my legs go limp. I fall on the ground. They burn like fire. I just want them to be off. I scream in pain. I might cry. "May," I grunt, "go get somebody."

She runs off and is shouting. I grab on the bench, dragging my legs on the ground. This pain is excruciating. It's almost worse than the whip. I hear May shouting. A tear escapes my eye. Why are my legs doing this? I clench my fist and grit my teeth together, to hide my screams. I'm breathing heavy and the pain doesn't seem to stop.

I finally hear footsteps running towards me. I'm gripping my legs trying not to scream. I realize she got Maxon. "Hey hey hey," he says quickly, attending to me, "look at me you're alright." I try and look at him. His eyes are full of worry. "My legs," I say through my teeth. I let out a scream. It's getting worse and worse.

Maxon lifts me up and sprints to the hospital wing. Once again nurses swarm around me. They take my sweat shirt off and stick an IV in my arm. A doctor comes in. "What's hurting?"

"My legs. They feel like they're burning. Like they're on fire. I just want it to stop," I say. Tears stream down my face. They give me a pain killer, but it makes the pain worse. I clench my fist and jaw. I wish they would just knock me out so I wouldn't have to feel this. The pain overwhelms me and I eventually pass out.