Chapter 53

Maxon's POV

America seems off today. Ever since this morning she's been acting like not herself. She still could be sick. But she won't take a break and rest for the day.

I grab a glass of champagne, and sip it. A finger taps on my shoulder. "Hey," I say to America. "How about we stay away from this tonight?" She says grabbing the glass and gives it to a butler. "Good idea," I say.

"We have some visitors tonight. The king, queen of England are here. So are their two sons, Edward and Eric. I have a not so good relationship with Edward," she says.

"I'm surprised he's not married yet. He's in his early twenties," I say. I feel like a group of girls gossiping. Talking about their latest crush and who likes who. "I think he's highly inappropriate," she says.

"If he asks you for a dance say no," I say.

"I can't. If I do he'll probably throw a fit. Or draw unwanted attention to me. And it's rude," she whispers. "It's also considered treason to have sexual feelings towards you," I say, "and he might end up in a trash can."

"Still..." She says.

"How about I hog you for the night," I say grabbing her by her waist. "I'd like that," she whispers. She drapes her arms on my shoulders. Our lips get closer and closer. Until they finally touch. In the corner of my eye a bright flash appears. I pull back and look to where it came from. My hands still rest on America. "Smile!" A photographer says holding his camera up. I dip her and give her a big smooch on the lips.

I bring her back up. The photographer shows us the picture. "This is going to be on the front of Illea magazine," he says smiling at his work. He goes off and snaps more pictures.

A butler offers me a glass of champagne and I take it. America glares at me, reminding me. "Just one," I beg. "Fine," she says giving in. I snap my finger and the butler comes back. "Yes your majesty?" I nod at America. "My apologies," he says offering her one. "No thank you," she says waving her hand. He quickly bows then walks off.

"Are you feeling all right?" I ask.

"I can't have alcohol for maybe nine more months," she says looking at me.

"Why? Did the nurses say you couldn't."

"You could say that," she says giggling.

"Why nine months? Why so long?" America doesn't answer me. She just laughs silently. I look at her, trying to pick up something. "Nine months. What could take nine months?" I say thinking out loud. America shakes her head as she snickers. My glass slips out of my hand. It shatters into a million pieces. All eyes go on me. Then they all go back to what they're doing. Oh my God. I grab America's hand and lead her down a hallway.

I lift her up and spin around. "Maxon!" She giggles. I kiss her all over. Happiness overwhelms me. "I'm going to be a dad?!" I shout. She shushes me and nods. I kiss her again. "I don't know what to say. I'm just so thrilled. I'm going to be a father. I feel like I'm on cloud nine," I say. America brings me in for a hug. "I'm so glad you're happy. I'm happy too," she says. I kiss the top of her head.

My mood swiftly changes. My father. Me. And what I did. I sit on a near by bench. I put my head in my palms. "I'm going to be a dad," I say more seriously. America sits beside me. "I'm going to be a dad," I can't stop repeating those words. "America, I'm going to be a father," I say nervously. "I'm my father's son. I've done terrible things." I let out a long sigh. "That wasn't you," America says.

"Then who was it?" America goes silent. "Maxon, you're going to be the best father in the world. There's no doubt about it," she says reassuring me. "Come here," I say holding my arms out for a hug. She rests her head on my chest. "I love you. And you're going to be a great mom. The best one ever."

"You're going to be the best dad I've ever heard of. People are going be like, Maxon is the best dad ever," she says chuckling. Our laughing fades. "I want something just like this all the time. Us having the perfect moments, but everything is perfect when I'm around you."

"Maxon, I love you so much. I never want to let go of you," she says.

"You won't have to," I say then kiss her forehead, "I'm always going to be here for you, always." She squeezes me tighter. "We should go back to the party. They're probably wondering where we are."

"They're probably missing the three of us," I say looking at her stomach. I kiss her once more and we enter the party. Dancing fills the room. America and I hop in the crowd. We don't dance as usual. We sway in circles. The music changes and that means we find another partner. Some guy snatches America up. I go over to the drink table. I know America would scold me if she saw this, but she can't see me.

I gulp it down, and grab another. Then another. Sooner or later I'm not in control of myself. My mind immediately goes to America. I stagger over towards America. I tap on the guys shoulder. "Your majesty," he says bowing. "I need America," I say grabbing her arm. He let's her go with me. "Maxon," she whispers harshly, "You're drunk. I told you not to drink."

"I'm okay, I only had a few," I slur. She gives me a look. "The party is not even close to over. Try not to get in trouble. In fact, I'm not letting you out of my sight," she says taking me back in the party. We stand there near a table. I wrap my arms around her, and pat her stomach. "There's a baby cooking in there," I say. America nods. "We should name it Maxon Jr or America Jr if it's a boy or girl." America laughs at my shenanigans.

"How about we lose this tonight?" I say. I zip her dress down all the way. America freezes, then stomps on my foot. "Maxon," she snaps. "That wasn't very nice," I grunt holding my toe. "Zip me back up before people notice," she whispers at me. "I'd rather take it off," I whisper in her ear tugging on it.

"You're not getting any of this if you don't zip my dress up now," she whispers getting aggravated. "Fine," I say giving in unwillingly. I peek in a little, but then she slaps my hand. I shake the stinging sensation off, and zip it up all the way. "Thank you," she says turning to me. "You're very welcome," I say bowing.

"Its almost twelve. Let's go outside and watch the fireworks."

"Okay-" She bolts off with my hand. She goes right up to the railing and watched the fire blowing up in the sky. Everytime it burst it shines on her face. I get to see her smile everytime. I get behind her and put my arms around her. She turns her head to the side facing me. I stretch my lips out and kiss her. We both pull back flashing our white teeth

People start cheering and counting down. When they hit five I grab America and dip her. All I hear is one and put my lips to her's. She cups both of my cheeks. People take pictures of us, and once again her perfect lips make the perfect smile. "I love you," I say softly. "I love you more," she says. And I believe that.