Chapter 32

America's POV

I have no idea where I am. I'm afraid to open my eyes and look where I'm at. I know I'm in a bed. Wires all around me, a breathing tube on my upper lip. A monitor beeps at a steady rate.

I risk a peek through my eyes. The light blinds me. A hand touches mine and a hand brushes my hair back. I open my eyes, hoping I'm in the right place. Maxon stares at me, then hugs me. "I've been worried sick. They wouldn't let me go on the mission to save you. Once they called in and said they found you, I was so happy. I don't know what I'd do without you. It's been eternity. I needed to see that fire in your hair, the diamonds in your eyes. I needed to see you, America. I love you so much. I'm so glad you're awake."

"How long was I out?"

"A month." I shoot my eyes open more. An entire month of nothing. This has to be my fifth time in the hospital. Everything is coming at me so fast. The last thing I remember is explosions. Then a glimpse of doctors taking me to surgery. But that's all.

"How are you feeling?"

"Trying to process everything. What's happened?"

"You were captured by the rebels. Then we rescued you. You've been out for a whole month. Doctors say it's because you were mentally overwhelmed, exhausted and your brain was over working it self. So it shut down for a little bit. Your injuries are all healed up. Your shoulder was broken, but its better now. You had cuts and bruises," he says, "the guards told me that when they found you, you were passed out. A man was beating the life out of you but they finally got you here. You had some internal bleeding, you weren't in the best condition."

Maxon sits on the edge of the bed next to me. "A lot has happened when you were in a coma. But I won't overwhelm you. I'll let you get some rest." He starts to walk out. "Stay," I say before he walks out. "You want me to stay?" He says sounding surprised. I nod unsure what I'm doing.

He sits back beside me on the bed. "America, I want you to know that if I could've saved you, I would've done it in a heart beat. I'm so sorry that I've caused this mess. It's all my fault-" I interrupt him. He freezes when he realizes that my arms are around him. "Maxon, I want to start over. I want to forget what's happened between us. I just want to start over."

"I'd like that," he says.

"I'm still trying to figure my feelings out about you. I just need some time but I don't want to be away from you," I say.

"Hi my name is Maxon," he says. I punch his shoulder playfully. "You punch hard red head. You kind of look like an America. How close am I?"

"Very close, considering we just met." We both laugh. But then I turn the mood. "Maxon, I need time to figure things out. So please no kissing or anything intimate, please. I need to sort my feelings out. I need to figure out where our relationship is right now."

"I understand," he says.

"Thank you," I say.

"Its going to be hard but I'll manage."

"No, I mean thank you. For always being here with me."

"Always," he says.