Chapter Nine: First Day Of School

August 6th, 2016

Carrie woke up to her alarm clock going off. She woke up and saw a text from Harrison.

Harrison: Good morning! Ready for school? 😁😦

Carrie: No, of course I'm not. Can me and Todd ride with you since I don't know where to go yet?

Harrison: Yeah, of course. See you in a little while 😊

Carrie: Ok, love you 💖

Carrie put her phone back on her desk and started to get dressed.

She put on her royal blue t-shirt and jean shorts. She put her hair in a ponytail, grabbed her phone and bookbag, and ran out of her room.

"Good morning." Debbie said. Carrie smiled and hugged her mother. "Good morning. Harrison is taking me and Todd today." Carrie said as Debbie nodded. "Ok, I fixed scrambled eggs for breakfast so you can have something quick before you go." Debbie said. Carrie nodded and started to eat.

Harrison put on his Darth Vader shirt with his dark blue jeans. He went downstairs and saw his mother and brother eating. "Yum, what did you fix?" Harrison asked as he smelt the delicious food. "Waffles and bacon. Eat quickly so that you can get to school on time. Especially since your taking Carrie and her brother." Dorothy said.

Harrison nodded and grabbed a plate. He sat beside his brother and ate. After eating, he ran back up to his room, grabbed his phone and bookbag, then ran back downstairs to put his plate up. He grabbed his keys from the counter, then he and Terrance ran out.

Harrison tossed Terrance the keys. "Start the car while I go get them." Terrance nodded as Harrison ran over to Carrie's house. He knocked on the door and Todd answered it. "Ready?" Todd asked. "Yeah." Harrison answered. "Carrie! We're ready!" Todd yelled. Carrie came from the living room. "Geez, I'm ready. Calm down."

Todd and Terrance squeezed into the back of the mustang and Carrie got up front. "I am so happy that this is my last year." Harrison said. "Yeah, me too. I'm just ready to be done." Carrie said. Harrison smiled and held her hand as he drove.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Fifteen minutes later, they pulled up at the school. "You guys ready?" Harrison asked. Carrie slowly nodded. Harrison got out and let the boys out then got back in the mustang. "Hey, you ok?" He asked.

"I'm just a little nervous about starting a new school, that's all." Carrie said. "Hey, it'll be ok. You've got me. I also introduced you to my friends." Harrison said. "I know . . . But still. I'll be ok." Carrie opened the door and walked out of the car.

Harrison sighed and ran after her. "Carrie, come here!" He grabbed her arm and she stopped walking. She turned around to look at him. "I'm sorry . . ." She said. "What's wrong?" He asked. "Nothing, I am perfectly normal. Now, let's go!" She exclaimed. Harrison frowned and followed her.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Harrison and Carrie met Mark, Marilou, and Meryl at the lunch table. "Hey Harrison, hi Carrie." Meryl said once they reached them. "Hi." Carrie said. "Hey Meryl, Mark, and Marilou." Harrison said.

They got their food then met back at the table. "How has the day been so far?" Mark asked Carrie. Carrie, who didn't hear him, continued to look out of the window. "Carrie," Harrison said as he touched her arm. Carrie shook and looked at them. "What?" She asked. "You zoned out, Mark asked you a question." Harrison said.

Carrie looked at Mark and frowned. "I'm so sorry, what did you say?" She asked. "Oh, I was just asking how your day has been so far." He said. Carrie gave him a small smile. "It's been ok. I really do like this school. Especially with you guys." She said. "Aw, that's so sweet." Marilou said. Carrie smiled. "I'll be back, I'm going to the bathroom. Marilou and Meryl got up with her and left.

"Hey, what's wrong with Carrie?" Mark asked. Harrison frowned. "I really don't know, to be honest. She's been acting strange all day. I'm really worried about her." Harrison said.

"Hey Carrie, you ok?" Marilou asked once the three reached the bathroom. "Ok. I'm about to tell you something that nobody knows except for my brother and mother." Carrie said before taking a deep breath. "Not even Harrison?" Meryl asked. "Not even Harrison. What I'm about to tell you, stays between us. Got it?" The girls nodded and Carrie took another deep breath before she told them everything.

Carrie and the girls came back from the bathroom. "Everything ok?" Mark asked. Marilou nodded and sat back down next to him. "Yep. Everything is just fine." Marilou said as she looked at Carrie.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

After the last class of the day, it was time to go home. The boys met Harrison and Carrie back at the mustang. "We all ready?" Harrison asked. Everyone nodded and they loaded back into the car.

It was a very quiet drive home. Carrie stayed quiet while her brother and Terrance talked about their day.

Finally, they reached Carrie's house. Carrie was about to get out when Harrison stopped her. "Wait a minute." He said. Carrie nodded as he got out of the car. He got out and let the boys out. "I'm taking Carrie out, you boys can go to mine or Carrie's house." Harrison said.

The boys nodded and ran into Carrie's house. "Where are we going?" Carrie asked. Harrison didn't answer and started driving. Carrie sighed and looked out the window. As he drove with his left hand, he held Carrie's hand with his right.

They got to the field and Carrie smiled a half smile. Harrison got out and laid the blanket on the ground. He opened Carrie's door and she got out. He held out his hand which she happily accepted and he led her to the blanket.

He sat down on the blanket followed by Carrie. Carrie sat far away from him. "Carrie, come here." He said. She scooted closer to him and he sat in front of her, with his legs crossed, and held both of her hands.

Following him, she sat with her legs crossed and held his hands. They stared in each others eyes for a minute then Carrie finally spoke up. "Why are we here?" She asked. Harrison sighed and gave her hands a squeeze. "We need to talk."

Her face paled and she looked down. He let go of her hand for just a second to tilt her chin up.

"What's been going on with you?"

Yikes, I hope you enjoyed this and I hope I did ok. Thank you for the support I've been getting already. This book has only been up for a few days and I've already got one hundred reads, almost two hundred! I love you all so much and I really hope that you don't hate me for this cliffhanger.

Love, Kendall 💖