❥┆TWELVE

resume

click to resume

DREAD
9:29 pm

the time spent inside the cave wasn't exactly the funnest for minjin and taeil. they came across ancient relics and a map of all the dangerous areas there was to this place. after part of the ceiling came crashing down, nearly crushing minjin they walked faster, wanting nothing more than to get out into open sky where the only possibility of things falling on top of them was snow. 

once back outside in the freezing air they slowed their pace, admiring the snowflakes gently dancing their way to the ground. they passed a flowing waterfall, marvelling as the water crashed against the rocks then flowing seamlessly down the river bend.

they stopped to take pictures, wanting to savor the scenery and shared moments that would forever be etched into their memories. "this place is truly beautiful." taeil commented as he scrolled through the pictures.

"can't argue with that." minjin smiled, lacing her arm through taeil's. they soon came across a telescope. minjin skipped forward, wanting to take a quick overview of the area. "taeil i can see the cabin from here!"

"oh thank god." he breathed. as much as it was nice to be out in the frosty air surrounded by all this nature he needed to be inside soon, next to a roaring fire unless he wanted to spend the rest of the trip in bed due to catching a cold.

"whoa. babe... i just saw someone at the cabin."

"huh? that's impossible. everyone is back at the lodge." minjin let out a disagreeing hum. she pointed at the telescope.

"look at it yourself." and so he did. he scanned the area but saw nothing except squirrels and deer.

"i didn't see anything. let's just continue on." the closer they neared the cabin the more shuffling noises they heard come from beyond the trees. "the animals must be running around—"

a course of swear words left taeil's mouth as a deer came jumping across the path wildly. the sudden action sent him dropping to the floor. he scrambled to rise again as minjin stared at him, eyes wide and mouth agape.

"okay what the absolute hell was that?"

"i've seen deer crossings before but fuck! it came out of nowhere. we need to get to the cabin, i can only take so much." if the circumstances were different, minjin would have snorted at the comment but she agreed completely.

"taeil oh my gosh! the deer!" up ahead the deer was seen, laid out on a fallen branch surrounded by its own pool of blood. minjin looked away, whereas taeil approached it slowly.

"did a bear do this? it's whole neck is clawed. the poor thing." he gently laid his hand on its head, petting it soothingly. "it's okay buddy. the pain will be over soon."

taeil continued to soothe it as it breathed it's last breath. he let out a sorrowful sigh and stepped back. "we should make a report for it when we get inside. we can't just leave it here."

the same ear piercing scream they heard earlier that had them take the detour sounded again, but this time much closer. out of nowhere the deer was snatched off somewhere into the trees. "holy— run!" taeil screamed.