2. Back home

~

"Flight AY763 to Toronto is boarding. Passengers, please, line up in front of the boarding gate. Flight AY763 to Toronto is..." echoed through the speakers as I entered the North Carolina Airport with my sister Alex.

She was flying to New York with me and I was glad I didnt have to fly alone. I mean, I was nervous to go back. Alex had quickly mentioned that something had changed yet I still didn't know what she meant by that. What if I didn't have my apartment anymore? Oh my, I was going to be homeless. Well, okay maybe not that. I knew I had my apartment still but what if... I couldn't come up with any scenarios other than... What if things weren't like they used to be? I had been gone for 6 months, of course I wasn't just going to continue where everything was left. That was my biggest concern.

"Should we go to Apple Store to get you a new phone?" Alex pointed at the small Apple Store in front of us.

"Oh yeah, almost forgot." I smirked.

So we headed in and I was soon offered with help. I decided to buy the newest Iphone in red and, like I had guessed, I needed to start from a clean table. I didn't have numbers, any contacts or any pictures. But it was actually a good thing. This way I could get the contacts lf people who were important and meant a lot to me, along with people I worked with and stuff like that.

"Thank you!" I thanked the employees at the Apple Store as we left.

We went to sit down at a café since we still had an hour or two before our plane was boarding.

"Do you want something? Coffee, a sandwich?" Alex asked, standing up from her chair.

"An iced coffee, thanks." I replied and she showed me the thumbs up before heading over to the bar counter.

I decided to use this time to go through social media. 6 months without a phone is a lot and you feel like you are being left out. But social media wasn't so important to me. Previously I had spent a few weeks without any kind of social media so 6 months isn't really bad, after all.

I downloaded Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook and all those apps I had before my treatment. As I was waiting for all those apps to download, I heard whispering from the table next to me. I lifted my gaze and looked at the direction where the whispering was coming from. I usually didn't eavesdrop people but somehow, out of nowhere, I was so sure my name was mentioned. There were two girls sitting at the table with their phones in their hands and at times they would glance at me and nod their head at each other. I looked away and immediately looked at my reflection on my phone's glass.

No, there was nothing on my face.

Or maybe they were just one of those people who lived off from talking about other people.

"Here you go." my thoughts were interrupted and an iced coffee was placed in front of me and soon the smell filled my nostrils.

Gosh, how I have missed the smell of coffee.

"So, what is the first thing you're gonna do when we get back?" Alex looked at me, leaning her elbows on the round wooden table.

"I don't know. Probably will check if my apartment is still alive." I giggled quietly.

"Oh, I just visited your place, like... Three weeks ago. You have new neighbors. There's a newborn baby and she... Oh fuck." Alex quickly covered her mouth and wrinkled her forehead in concern.

I pressed my lips together.

Accepting your past is the key to your healing, Dr. Hammond's words repeated in my head over and over again.