6. Birthday gift

~

Ava's POV

Somehow I felt unable to even care about all the mess that was going on. It made me exhausted and so overwhelmed that I just couldn't take it at the moment. I wanted to get back with my life normally and with my job, too, so maybe later I could have the energy to focus on how to see Justin again. I wasn't going to ditch the thought of reuniting with him, because I loved him still, very much. But sometimes, the things he did and what kind of energy his presence put out, he drained my soul out. Specially what his position was now in the industry. Everyone knew him so being with him could be harder.

So I just wanted to take good care of myself. I was finally feeling better because of my six months away from the real life. I didn't want to ruin it and feel like I just threw away six months of my life just so I could feel like shit again.

-

Two weeks went by quickly. I went back to work and everyone was so nice and welcoming towards me. Spencer had moved to a different company to do his intership in so I was a little bummed about that. But I still had friends who worked at ELLE headquarters which meant that I wasn't alone in the big office.

Soon it was my birthday. My 21st birthday, finally. I was no longer a minor. Okay, I hadn't been a minor in two years, but alcohol-wise. Not that I was going to start drinking like a maniac, but a few club trips could maybe fit into my weekends. I needed to let loose a little and have some fun with my friends. Though my plan didn't really work out...

"I'm so sorry, honey, I can't go tonight." Laura whined, her voice crawling deep into my ear from the speaker.

I rolled my eyes so hard that they almost went totally white.

"My mom is sick and dad is helpless so I have to go help them out." she sighed, sounding very disappointed.

It's my 21st birthday and I was going to spend it alone, in my apartment, probably eating noodles and watching RomCom's.

"Will you forgive me, pweatty pwease?" Laura sputtered, probably trying to make me laugh or at least forgive her.

"Fine." I snapped, "But you have to pay this back somehow."

Of course she said 'yes' to my command. And soon we hang up and I was, again, sitting in the silence of my apartment. I stared at the plain ceiling, thinking of ways to spend my birthday even though I was alone. It was Friday, I could go for a drink or two at the bar and hope for the best that I could get some company. Not just male or female company. Any company was approved. Because I needed someone. It was so depressing to just sit at home and do nothing when the whole world finally opens up to you.

-

Justin's POV

"Ah, it's good to be back!" Laura cheered when we all stepped into her family's New York home in the Hamptons.

The day was beautiful and warm. The sun had started to set already even though it was only 4pm.

I put my luggage in the spare room that was awfully familiar to me. I had spent so many days and nights there that it almost felt like it was mine and mine, only. Like I said previously, the Goodwin family was always there when I had no one and needed someone.

"Wanna go watch the sunset?" Jessie's head popped up from the doorway of my room and I got a little startled from that.

I glanced at her as I fell down on the semi-big bed with a super comfy mattress. I kicked my shoes off, leaning back against my hands as I let out a huge sigh.