14. Do you

~

Ava's POV

I tapped my pen against my wooden office table as I stared blankly at my MacBook's screen. There were people running around in the office in hopes of getting the next months issue ready at time, but my head was just empty. It wasn't running as fast as those people in the hallways. I was supposed to collect all the ads to the issue but just like I expected, nothing productive was happening in my office cubicle.

It was Thursday. The second busiest day at the office. Robbie was here, in her office so she was giving orders to almost everybody, including me.

It had been a little over a week since Justin had to fly back home, to Calabasas. We talked about all this on Sunday and we came to an agreement that I was going to stay here. He stated, that e wanted to see me graduate and boost my career. And I agreed. To be honest, if I drop out of college, my parents wouldn't even claim me as their daughter anymore. Too much had happened in my life already so I just wanted to finish everything that was still up in the air, even though it meant not seeing Justin in a really long time. But something was telling me that this was the wrong choice even though I was doing excactly what I was supposed to do; put my college and career first.

"Ava!" a sharp, high-pitched voice shook me from my thoughts.

It was Linda, my colleague. She replaced Spencer about four months ago and she was very productive.

"Yes?" I blinked my eyes rapidly to wake myself up from my daydreaming and looked up at her as she leaned over the short wall separating our cubicles from each other.

"I was just gonna ask you for a lunch break but looks like you... haven't done anything?" she gritted her teeth together while trying to see what was on my laptop.

There was just a blank sheet. So I quickly pulled the lap lower to not give away that I, indeed, hadn't done anything.

"Yeah, no. I'm just figuring this out still." I laughed, nervously.

Linda squinted her eyes before flipping her long blonde hair to her right shoulder.

"Okay, so you're not coming?" she reassured.

"No, I'll be fine." I waved her off, waiting anxiously that she would just leave and let me be alone.

One of the reasons why I hated office cubicles, you were never really alone.

"Okay, bye!" Linda waved at me and left, swaying her hips from side to side.

"Bye, have a nice- whatever." I sighed in what felt like defeat and leaned my face against my palms.

I wasn't feeling right. I felt down, not-calm and not-collected. What was wrong with me? Everything I tried to do or did just felt wrong and didn't feel like I was meant to be doing it. And it killed me. I was usually so passionate about my job. I wanted to do good, I wanted to make people proud and wonder, how on Earth could a 21 year old do that. But it wasn't happening. Just a week ago Justin left, could it get worse?

Yes.

So out of nowhere, even though I was meant to be doing my task Robbie gave me, I went to the Internet and started looking for jobs in Los Angeles. Just any kind of jobs. Didn't know why, though, but I just did it in hopes of finding something awesome.

But of course, with my luck, all I found was: waiter, dishwasher, seasonal dishwasher and a dog walker. Wow, okay.

I went to another website for job applications and wrote 'magazine jobs' in the search tab. And boom.